Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

people with yahoo DSL, question about connecting and install cd

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jjlaughner, Jan 22, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

First I hate install cd's they add alot of crap I dont want and wont use. Is it possible to connect without using the setup disk?
    Second, I have a seperate line I'm putting DSL on, Do I still have to use the filters they sent?

Last I'm going to put a router in, should I hook up the DSL modem first then setup the router or do the router first?

Thanks, I hope this works! Its suppost to be setup on the 27th and I received all the stuff today. Actually I received two modems today one for each of our phone numbers /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif S0 I have to send one of the back tomorrow. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is it possible to connect without using the setup disk?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most likely. You will need your username and password and it should be fairly easy to configure.

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a seperate line I'm putting DSL on

[/ QUOTE ]

You only need filters on phones that are on the same pair of copper wires that the DSL is running on.

Are you getting another set of wires run to the house or are you running the second line on the same pair of wires?

Second, why are you getting a second line for DSL?

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

NO, we have one line to the house, two wires have one number and two wires have the other number... My parents have had the original number for close to 30years, the other we have had for 6 years (it was my dads parents number). We use dialup on the second line and since we are not getting rid of the second line, I had them setup the DSL on it...

I'm thinking its not going to work till they install a full second line. I wish we could get cable modems out here, I already have the house setup for it (since I use to install cable modems I installed all new cable lines from the pole to the house, Modem signal booster in the garage and new leads to the network area). But I have been taking with the Insight people for three years and they since have no plans to put cable modems in my area I guess I'll have to give the DSL in the area shot (its the first highspeed offered in this area).

So I'm doing some rewiring this weekend, running a few network lines and changing my cable modem bay to have its own telephone line to it (a bay I built in the top of the closet that has easy access to the attic).
    They are suppost to turn it on on the 27th but I have a feeling I'm going to have to see about having a whole new/extra line run.... (and if they dont do install it, I will do it myself! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif)

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dont have Yahoo DSL but I have set up earthlink and Frontier DSL. Dont see why yahoo should be a whole lot diferent.
    If you have a network card you should be able to just hook it up to your ethernet port. Thats how I connect to DSL. Its pretty much plug and play. Dont need any instal cd. Then just use the internet connection wizzard and use the LAN settings and never dial a connection.
    If you dont have a network card they are cheap. Should be able to get one for under $20.00. if yur getting a router yull need one anyhow.
    There should be instructions on how to do it with your DSL router/modem thingy.

And yes if you have any phones on the DSL line you need filters. Otherwise all you you hear in the phone is the computer scream.

I think Your DSL modem should already be set up to work with a router if you use the ethernet port.

5. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Do I still have to use the filters they sent?

[/ QUOTE ]

Voice freq is 400-3K...DSL rides that same line at 30K, so yes, you need the filters IF you are using a Telephone on that line also....

Otherwise, rewire your jack to make it a Homerun...DSL hates short pieces of branch wire (could affect speed/connectivity)...

Lucky You...I'm far enough out that all I can get is fawkin' Direct TV satellite...$700 set up and $59.95 mo...and it works about half the dang time....Our cable company is a local joke...

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm the same way, i *hate* software that's proprietary to a company or service provider and not too common and established.

I just set up an office with this. Sadly, because DSL is PPPoE (not made as simple as cablemodem or Telco data lines), I *had* to run thier software on one machine just to set up the modem and the account (modem also had to be directly connected to that box for the setup, too, but later was able to be routed). After that, I set up the router/firewall, and set up the PPPoE on the router to open service and be the gateway for the office lan.

If you have a crappy old box you don't care much about, run the providers software on that, then uninstall it after you finish using it to set up the service. I doubt their software will screw you up, but I'm nuerotic, I would feel dirty no matter how much I cleaned the machine after running thier software...