Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pepsi 1 carb fire 0

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudhog, Dec 20, 2002.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

well i went to start my blazer and it backfired through the carb and started a fire /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif i jumped out popped the hood took the air-cleaner off and had big flames /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif so i grabbed my jacket and tried to smother it nope didn't work /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif so i was cursing myself for not replacing my fire extinguisher /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif and trying to think of where i could get some water fast. then i spot-ed my half case of pepsi still in my truck from last weekends snow run. i grabbed one and poured it around my carb but not in it. all those flames went out so it was only coming out of the carb. so i then smothered it with my jacket and got it all out /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif it did melt my air cleaner though and my throttle cable /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif but i did get it started and drove it home /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif now to find out why it backfired through the carb?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Good Deal! Good thing it didnt burn up a fuel line or something! Sticky lifter maybe?

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Whenever you have a carb fire, jump back in, STOMP the gas and fire it up. Itll suck the fire down its throat and its all over. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. mudhog

trust me i did that before i got out in the first place and it didnt work /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Those carb fires always scare me. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That's the bst use of Pepsi I hve ever heard. So there is a use for it cause you sure can't drink that stuff . /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Glad to hear you didn't loose the truck.

From the home of Coke

7. mudhog

i hate to wast a good pepsi but my blazer is worth it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Too bad Michael Jackson didn't know about this when his hair caught fire while filming a Pepsi commercial several years ago! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I'm sure there had to e plenty of Pepsi on the set... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

that one worked for me.
    I was stupid enough to try and remove the air cleaner immediately afterwards though.
    nice burned finger and thumb to remind me I am a moron for a few days

10. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Well its been 11-12 yrs since I had my 1st carb fire. I still have scars from it. LOL! I tried swatting the fire out, /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif and the carb I was running was a modified Holley w/ custom vent tubes on the bowls. Well everytime I slapped my hand down it left a nice half moon puncture. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif In the end I wound up just holding my hand over mouth of the carb to smother it. When I lifted my hand to see how badly burnt it was I had a handful of cooked blood, and more streaming out. Kinda freaked me out but it wasnt too bad. I wrapped my hand and went back to working on the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It was that day my dad told me to spin it over when that happens and suck in the flames. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif After he took a look at my hand and told me Id live. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

glad to hear that you got the fire put out without much getting burnt up. what carb are you running.

12. mudhog

I'm running a edelbrook/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

13. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

that's the problem /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. you need to get a quadrajet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i had a carb fire on the wifes jimmy about 2 months ago. i ran in the garage, got the fire putter outter, hit it with the powder. out it went. for about 5 seconds. fire came back to life so i hit it agian. once again it stayed out, for about 7 second this time. i had to run and get the hose. this time the wires(brand new MSD heli coils) were starting to singe so i sprayed it with all the hose could... OOPS. had not PCV or air filter on. needless to say i just started on the top end rebuild that same day instead of waiting untill that saturday.
    Grant

15. mudhog

luckily it didn't burn any wires /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

hope it wasn't a nice jacket you used /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif guess the price of that motor is going down, huh? J/K! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif better get a quadrajet on there untill the tpi is ready /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif