Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pepsi can stove? DIY backpackers take notice

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by mofugly13, Jan 5, 2006.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Anyone ever made any of these?

http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/pepsistove.html

I have made a bunch, I even made a sweet little tiny one out of a mini V8 can (redbull size can). Very cool. They work awesome. It's best if you have a set of micro drill bits and a pin vise, but my first coulple were made with just a pushpin to make the burner holes. I have 3 or 4 full size can ones, and the one tiny one (my favorite). The next ones I will make will be out of Arizona Iced tea cans, and then one from Heiniken Keg cans.

I am posting this to inject some life into this forum. I'll post some pics of the stoves I've made later.

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Do you have any pictures of any you made? The pictures they have aren't very big...

Looks very interesting.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Why not just use a sterno?, do they not get hot enough?

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

not bad, i have a little fondue burner that works great, as good as that, is filled with cotton so no spills and holds the fluid, and can also ajust the flame, and sit the can of food right on top.

looks cool though, might make one for kicks.

i do want to se pics od the v8 can one tiny little thing,

5. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I think making stuff like that is cool. Good post.

Have to try that one.:D

6. mofugly13

Here's the little guy. I'm going to make another with the little cans, but I'll make it twice as tall so it'll hold more fuel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like burning. I had to turn the lights off to see the flame, alcohol burns nearly invisible.
    [​IMG]

I'm goint to make one out of some heineken keg cans once I can find someone who'll drink that swill...

7. mofugly13

Built, not bought, bro!

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Looks cool. I'm going to fwd it to my wife, it would make a good Girl Scout project. (She's a leader)

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

my one problem with this IS a fondue burner does the same thing better and many other things would do too.

the durability of something like this is low, and you woudent have the time/resorses in a survival situation to make something like this, not really seing the point too much :dunno:

but it is a neat project

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I agree but I give em an A+ for the coolness factor...

11. mofugly13

Fondue burner=Sterno?

If that's the case, I'd have to say the pepsi can stove is more durable. I can dent a sterno easy, the pepsi can stove is quite rigid. The outer wall is pretty much a double layer and the inner wall strengthens it up a LOT. It is smaller and lighter than a sterno burner, and when you're talking backpacking, size and even more so, weight are huge factors. Backpackers shave every ounce they can. If you're carrying sterno, you gotta pack out your empty 'tins' and those have mass, adding to the wight of your pack. I bet the pepsi stove is cheaper to burn as well. Seventy cents or so for a pint of rubbing alcohol. This isn't something you are supposed to make on the spot in a survival situation, it's something you have with you already. While this would possibly make a nice addition to a survival kit, the focus is backpacking and weight reduction.

The little V8 one is more of a novelty, I think the pepsi size one is more practical. I presented this for those who are like me and love to tinker, make something out of nothing, and who just enjoy doing things for themselves, for kicks, rather than plunking down somew cash for something someone else made.

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

no not sterno one of these guys
    [​IMG]

i i was going to carry a small burner i would probably carry this, it also hass cotton pad inside that would prevent spills, you can check gerage sales you can find these things for pennies

not sure how the alum can held togeather with tape, would fare cramed in with the rest of my junk . AND BESIDES IT IS NOT EVEN MAGNETIC!!!!:surepal::surepal:

but I do like it, the next time i am in the hardware store and remember to get the tape I will probably whip one up, after all I am a huge pyro and and an excuse to burn something is good enuff for me! :D

13. mofugly13

Damn, I didn't even trip that these weren't magnetic, crap, I never miked the soda can before I did it either, double crap. I concede. I dont think you need the tape, really. The little guy I made, I was able to get the two pieces together with a friction fit, I put the lower in the freezer, and the upper in the hot ass sun, after about 10 minutes I assembled them, FAST. I coulnt pry them apart now without screwing the stove up. The pepsi size cans I made, four of them, I used the foil tape, but I think I can get them to go together using hot/cold. Anyway, it's just a fun little build project for idjits like me.

14. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

So you didn't cut slits in the top piece either? Seems like this would be a much better way to do it if it works.

15. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

16. mofugly13

Not on the little one. Actually the top piece, I fit over the end of an uncut can, and that may have helped expand it a bit.

Nice link, I think I've seen that site before, but it's been awhile, and they've added tons of links.

17. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

well i made a few.

the can stove dident strike a cord with me, but i do like the idea of a preaserized stove now that i like!

and never to do thingsd the norm, i made a stove out of a 950ml beer can, and the redbull sized V-8 cans.

also the shortest possable out of a normal can, witch i dont recomend because as it built up PSI started to spry fuel on my living room floor!!!!!!!

yes honey the carpit was always scorched like that.

I also cam up with anintergrated pot stand on the big one, and others mounted on the screw.

boils water in NO time.

pics

P1010027.JPG

P1010028.JPG

P1010029.JPG

P1010030.JPG

P1010025.JPG

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  18. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

more pics

also messing with different fuels, the cheap stuff work pritty good..

P1010031.JPG

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  19. mofugly13

AWESOME! Now, wasnt that fun? I find the best fuel is clean methyl alcohol, heet in the yellow bottle works real well. The cheapo wallgreens rubbing alcohol works but doesnt burn as clean, Heet burns almost invisible. I like that one with the pot stand built in, good idea. Do those screws thread in so it's not so bulky for storage? Did you use a pin for the holes, or a pin vise and micro-drills? Again, nice job, I really dig little do it yourself projects. And what do you think of the strength issue, that interior wall, and the outside double wall strengthens it up pretty well. Seems like they could take a fair amount of abuse. I'm glad you tried it out.

20. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

the first one i did was the big beer can, and i used a 1/16th drill bit, couldent use pins the bottom was too thick.

then i bought a set of micro drills, and was useing 0.50 and 0.70mm drills.

use can easyly take the screws out and put them back in i used a screw rivit tool.

just like a rivit gun but the insert is threaded, BUT YOU MUST REPLACE THE SCREW. and glue the halfs togeather

i left the screw out of my mid sized pop can one that was only friction fit, and as loud as a gun shot she blew off!!! scared the sh!t out of me.

the size i am going to work on is the 910ml beer can, has longer and higher burn time/temp, little ones are fun too.

i find my beer can one is WAY more compact then some of the ones found in the list of links, with a pot stand, and wind screen seporate.

oh yeah the drills have 1/8th shanks so you know there tiny

P1010048.JPG