Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Perch Welding...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Jun 17, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Alright well i gotta re-weld my spring perches back onto the 14bolt i have. I know this is a long shot but i prob shouldnt use my Mig 135 to do this job right? the perches are damn thick, im not to sure how well it would penetrate while welding it up. Best idea would be to use arch right?

Also with the 1ton perches does it give me more lift now?

2. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Yes , due to the heavy material it would be a good idea to use a larger arc welder with some 7018

Now I am not trying to hilack your thread , but when re-welding perches is it better to weld the curved tube sides , or is it better to weld the horizontal flat sides?
    They all seem to be welded on the curved side from the factory , but it was standard practice to weld perches back on pulp trailer axles on the horizontal sides only.(if you welded them on the curves they had a much higher failure rate)
    Just a "Q" for anyone that my know what is best??

3. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i would bet there has never been a factory welded perch fail from being welded on the arch. thats where i would reweld it for sure. you could weld it all the way around too.

4. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I am just wondering because I have seen 1 ton diffs in a furd that the axle tubes were cracked at the perches
    Not the perches but the axle tubes themselves had multiple cracks radiating outwards from the perches , it was about a 4 hour repair to fix it up.

5. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When me and my buddy welded his perches for his front D44, to go into his jeep we used an arch welder with 7018 rods. Worked excelent

6. mojo-jojo

mojo-jojo 1/2 ton status

I've always welded the curve. Most of the perches I've seen don't make contact on the straight part.

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I made my perches from 2.5" square steel with 1/4" walls.......and I welded them on all the way around. :D