Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Perfect Storm Round 2

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cricket, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

We're still buried from the storm on the 20th and a duplicate storm is scheduled to arrive tomorrow afternoon and dump another several feet through Friday.

Trash service hasn't resumed, side streets have not been cleared, stores are out of stock, eggs, milk, et. Fuel stations are also low on supplies because there were 3 days that nothing was moving. We just got the driveway to the single lane down our street cleared. :doah:

Strange days, people are losing it out here. I saw a fuel battle yesterday that turned pretty ugly. If services ever shut down in this country for more than a week we'd have anarchy. :haha:

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Yea, we had it pretty rough down here. It rained for just over a couple of hours. Made everything wet and all not dry.

I do however remember the days of being up in Flagstaff and having much the same things happen. It doth sucketh.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'm overly joyed about it. I love the stuff, but go back to work on Saturday and I hate working in it. Of course it will come, I had to wash the patrol car today to get the last snow residual off.....................

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

[​IMG]

Nice wax job there rook. :D

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Just treat it like a hurricane coming in and stock up now.
    I was down there on Monday and didn't see one truck running to clear
    out the extra areas or side streets. Our plows will run 24/7 up here if needed.
    For the first time (I think) in 23 years, I went into City Market up here and they didn't have hardly any bread on the shelves.
    The whole isle was almost conpletly cleaned out so it doesn't just effect you guys.
    I called UPS today to try & locate a package for a customer without heat and they said they had two semi trailers in there lot that hadn't been unloaded and wouldn't until tomorrow.
    If it hits, you guys are going to be in a mess and take us with you.
    Wanna buy a snowmobile? :haha:

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Ummmm[​IMG] for me here.

7. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

[​IMG] -.-. --.- -.. .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- -... .-.. .. --.. --..
    .- .-. -.. .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- ....- ..-. . . - .- -. -
    .. -.-. --- ..- -. - .. -. --. .-.-.- -.. .-. .. ..- . -
    .. -. --. .- -. -.. .... .. --. .... .-- .. -. -.. ...
    .-.-.- -... .. - - . .-. -.-. --- .-.. -.. .-.-.- -. -
    -- --. .- ... --..-- ..-. --- --- -.. --..-- -.. ..
    .- .--. . .-. ... --- .-. -... . . .-. .-.-.- -. . . -
    .. . -- . .-. --. . -. -.-. -.-- ... . .-. ...- .. -.-.
    ... .- -. -.. ... ..- .--. .--. .-.. .. . ... .-.-.- ..-
    . ..- . .-.. ... .... --- .-. - .-.-.- .--. --- .-- . .-
    . .. ... --- ..- - .-.-.- .-. .. --- - .. -. --. ..
    -. - .... . ... - .-. . . - ... .-.-.- - --- - .- .-..
    .- -. .- .-. -.-. .... -.-- ... . -. -.. .. -. - .... .
    - .-. --- --- .--. ...

[​IMG] "where is everyone? Is anyone out there?"

[​IMG] "OH S**T! FCC ruled MORSE CODE is OBSOLETE!" "We're screwed!"

[​IMG] I'm fah-fah-fah-ruh-ruh-ruh-eeeez-zuh-zuh-zuh-in!

[​IMG] "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!"

[​IMG] "Dammit, I hate shovelin' snow!" "Honey, take the [​IMG] out. He's whinnin again!"

[​IMG] "Beep...Beeep...Beep....A Blizzard Warning is in effect for the following counties and cities in Colorado....Adams...Arapahoe...Boulder...Denver...City of Denver....Douglas...Jefferson....Dang, the whole
    Friggin State of Colorado is closed. Stay home, drink beer, get laid and if you have power, visit www.coloradok5.com ....Beeep.....Beeep.....Beeep"

[​IMG] "But I just got my power turned back on. C'mon now!"

[​IMG] "Glad I stocked up on TP! That woulda been a real crisis!"

[​IMG] "The Farmers Alamanc says there will be below normal snowfall for this year. Warmer temperatures will persist in Denver."

[​IMG] "C'mon, man! I gotta go!"

[​IMG] "Good ol' K5. NEVER gets stuck!"

[​IMG] ...---... ...---... ...---... ...---... "c'mahhh-n" ...---... ...---...

I guess it will be just another typical day in Colorado.....

Happy New "Blizzard" [​IMG]

Manny

(This post is a spoof to make people laugh. Do not take the morse code or the weather service message seriously.)

(Yet :D)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  8. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

My plane is supposed to leave friday at 6:30pm :doah::doah::doah:My guess is that the airport will shut down completely at about 6pm on friday, after they brag a lot about how they won't be shutting down at all, and all flights will get out...

9. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

So, how's the snowcone stand working:haha: :haha: out? I told you eastern slopers you could have all my snow. Glad you took me up on it.

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like it is post hurricane down here. I always make sure that I have plenty of food, ice (not so much a problem there) and beer. Plus a good book or two. Nothing to do if you leave the house, so why bother.

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:haha: :haha: @ the morse code... I was going to study it for my license, but now don't need to...

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Well there are certain food stores that are completely gone, and I mean empty shelves. So when you get to the store to stock up ther is no stock. :haha:

The fuel shortage is more critical, I could easily see people killing each other for a few gallons of gas.

I'd say the biggest impact is mental. Some people don't have a lick of self control. They drive to 2 or 3 stores or gas stations and see that there is little to no fuel or certain foods, and they go into this flaked out sole survivor mode. If people would just "remain calm" it would not be all that bad.

I'm not worried about getting around, I own a trusty old Chevy 4x4 after all. :D

EDIT: Oh yeah Mike, my self sustaining lemonade snow cone stand is blossoming.

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My favorite are the dumbasses that will drive all over town and then tell you that they are in trouble because they now have a less gas than they did before they went on the gas expedition.

14. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Hey Manny, you a Ham? I see CQ right there in the front ;)

15. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

PSH

I got my General license with the code.

16. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I think it's all hype and the weather guys are just covering their asses. 90% of the time the big storms they predict are bogus. Just last week was the one time they were right, and boy did the point that out. :surepal:

So you see they've used up their correct forecast for the winter. It's all good. :D

On another note, we get on the train early Saturday morning. I'm glad we are because the train was the only thing not incapacitated last week. The worse scenario they had was 6-hour delay getting to Grand Junction - where we're headed.

17. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

No, but I'd like to start. I'm big into Morse Code. I think I got the message down right. I don't know how to get started.

Manny

18. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Morse code you abbreviate almost everything to increase overall word speed.

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

snowed in sucks...

We've had our fair share of blizzards here..last bad winter was the one of '03-04,when we had 25 storms,several dumped 2' or more,and it snowed every couple of days--got 12 FEET of snow,when our "normal" yearly snowfall is 40"!!..my plow and truck took a lot of abuse that year!..last winter was nothing,only got 4 or 5 storms,and only one in December did it snow almost 12"..rest of the winter was no big deal..after the year before,nothing seemed too much to handle!..

Though we've had storms that beat or rivaled the "Blizzard of 78" since then,I still say that was THE worst storm I've lived through..had 37" of snow in 27 hours,70 mph winds,and drifts over 10' high...ALL driving was BANNED for an entire week--all the highways were clogged with stuck cars,plows could not push that heavy wet snow--had to call in the Army National Gaurd, and use huge bulldozers and bucket loaders to clear the streets!...took me and three other guys 2 entire days from sunup to sunset to shovel a spot big enough for my dads station wagon at the end of our 120' driveway!...this was in february,the snow didn't melt until march here,JUNE in some places!..

Many stores were completely out of bread,milk,and most other stuff..we used snowmobiles to deliver medicine,bring cops and firefighters to work,and we drove them over 20 miles ,right on the snow covered interstates!..we saw a lot of looting and people fighting to get gas and food--it got pretty scary for awhile..people tried to rob us,steal our snowmobiles,and take the food we were delivering!..we learned to just floor it,and HANG ON!..

Now every time it snows since then,the stores get stampeded,and they buy up all the bread and milk instantly..most folks helped each other out,but some were selfish and refused to help anyone but themselves..I bet there is a lot more of that type around today,than in 1978...God help us if another disaster like that strikes--it'll be every man for himself most likely..:doah:

This year has been pretty nice--December has been 7 degrees warmer than usual here,with lots of 50-60 degree days!..I'm not complaining,my truck isn't really ready for snow yet,and its one month less we will be freezing..:crazy:

20. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Real time weather update:

Rained from 1:00 pm until 3:45 pm. Now the snow is beginning. Supposed to get 8 to 10 tonight with a lull and then 20 to 40 more by Saturday night.

Oklahomo is supposed to take it's share of the beating this time around. So be careful down there Oklahomans. Hey Surpip, if the mini slides off the road they'll find it in a glacier 3000 years from now. :D