Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Performance and tailpipe hole

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Skigirl, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

My other truck (87 Toyota 2WD) has a hole in the tailpipe just past the muffler. I'm now noticing a change in performance that feels like it's "missing" and like there's backpressure building with a decrease in power, then it releases and the power surges.

I don't understand how the whole exhaust system thing works so am looking for some understanding of this system and an answer to: could these symptoms be due to the hole?

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Not really... The hole is behind the muffler correct.. that means the only thing left is for it to exit out the back... All the back pressure is before the muffler.. As for a loss of power then it comes back.. then goes away... There could be alot of things that could cause this problem.. Is there any other problems you are having???

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

No other problems. The engine is new (less than 6000 miles on it) and my mechanic adjusted the timing less than 2000 miles ago. It's not leaking, no black smoke from tailpipe, no other problems. It was pinging a bit until I switched to the next octane up from regular, now it's OK. Sounds a little louder from the hole tho. Hmmmm, homemade fake flowmaster noise!

4. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Well... lets see... if he adjusted the timeing and moved it to far forward that would explain the pinging on lower octane gas... Personally if it was me i would take it back to where you had the motor redone since it should still be under a warranty.. have them find the problem... It could be something internal and hell it doesnt hurt to have them go back over there work...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Your cat might be clogged up. You can take the exhaust apart from the heatriser in the y-pipe and run it and see if it acts better. If it does, then the cat is clogged.

It's been lovely, but I have to scream now.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

6. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it's time for a cat. If your truck has more than 60,000 I would change it.

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Prembird, I would except it's out of warranty (it's been over a year - I don't drive it much). My mechanic did retard the timing some and it got better, but still doesn't like 87 octane. It's fine on 89. I'll have him check it over again (this is not the same mechanic that did the original work).

Muddin and DMK. I'll check that. The truck has 132K miles on it. New tranny 20K miles ago. New water pump 1000 mi ago. Otherwise everything in it is original, from 1987.

Thanks all for the input!

8. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

If it is fuel injected I would check the oxygen sensor
    John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)