Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

performance cam?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MetalCore_Blazer393, Mar 27, 2007.

1. MetalCore_Blazer393

MetalCore_Blazer393 Registered Member

i was lookin at a cheap easy way to get some power out of my engine. i already have headers, dual exhaust, mallory ingtion and a K&N airfilter i was lookng at gettin performance cam and lifters for my small block 350. i was just wondering if there is any major down sides that i should know. this is what i was thinking of gettin!

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM%2DK1108&autoview=sku

if i got that, that would be all i need for it right?

plz let me know.

2. 1fastchevy

1fastchevy Registered Member

I didn't look at your cam but don't go way over stock, I have 3 trucks all with differnt cams, and my suburban with the stock cam seams to have more torque than all of them, I have an 03' with an LS1 thats faster but only when I'm in it for a long time, the burban takes off quick and pulls a trailer nice, so everyday driving a nice rv cam will do you right, Dave

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Your truck TBI?

Certainly not a truck camshaft.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You gotta be kiddn me. that aint no cam for a truck... You must buildin a bracket racer....Right?

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

But if you were thinking of building a nice runnin all aroundTBI engine you might look into a Comp cam#252 bh11. Good basic cam for a stock TBI Blazer

6. shockline

shockline Registered Member

That is pretty much the same cam I am putting in my 383 stroker project for my K5, so we will be having the same problems with the low RPM stuff.

7. kwissman

kwissman 1/2 ton status

That cam will have a strong lope and make no power below about 4000 rpm. In my opinion you should stay below 220 @ 0.050 duration for a street driven vehicle. Not to say you could not drive with the huge cam, but you will have to get used to the way it drives and most likely will not be happy. Pick one that has the RPM range you will be driving in and then if not sure buy the next smaller one.

I would also not buy a generic cam. Buy a Lunati Voo Doo or a Comp Extreme. These cams may not look a lot different in the specs, but they will have a shorter overall duration for the same 0.050 duration. That builds cylinder pressure and makes more power.

8. reaper450

reaper450 Registered Member

I put a comp cam in my 350 and love it. It's something like a 220 or something like that. I'd have to look at the specs at home. If you go with a bigger cam, you'll probably have to chane the springs to a heavier set, but thats not hard. The cam I have gives it a very nice rumble and quite a few more horses.

9. MetalCore_Blazer393

well i dont know much about cams and lifters that much, i just choose one that was decent price and all and sent it. but thanks for the info i have a friend that put lifters and cams in his s10 and i was goin also have him help out but he about 20 miles away so i was askin here to see what u guys have to say about putttin them in blazers. should i be lookin for lower numbers like .410 not .510 or whatever for more torque and lower end like between 1.2k rpms and like 4k that is the range i am lookin for. and yea i deffintly not tryin to build a drag truck or nothin lol

10. MetalCore_Blazer393

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I am assuming that the Blazer in your BIO is the one you are looking to replace the cam in right? If not post up specs on vehicle.

If your Balzer is the 87 in your bio it is TBI Copmputer controled You cannot put in a cam that is not designed or ground for a computer controled engine.
    The cam I recomended in eariler post will work great give good power all through the useable RPM power band , and be fine with the computer.
    Those summit cams you posted are very generic carb grinds and dont have the specs to work properly with computers.
    Unless you change heads you dont need a cam that makes power beyond 5000 rpm.Stock TBI heads valves float and run out of air around +- 4600 rpm.
    You can only use a mild computer grind cam with the stock chip in your computer. High performance cams require reprograming.
    Call comp cams and talk with them they have other computer frendly cams besids the one I posted but rember you are limited by the heads as to RPM limits. Putting in heaver valve springs helps them get over 5k RPM but you still have air flow problems because ofthe swirl port design.

12. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

for a streetable crawler, i'd keep duration quite a bit lower than the one in your first post. you'd have to rev it nearly to redline to get any real benefit, and that's no good for rocks. can work in mud, but one designed for off-idle and midrange torque would be a much better bet. bigger isn't always better.

13. MetalCore_Blazer393

ok i learned a lo more about cams then i though :eek1: . thanks a lot all of u but especially thunder the whole comp thing helped me under stand cams this much more [-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------]

and yes its for the blazer in my bio the 87, and i didnt know i had a computer in it. is it possible to get a programmer or controller for it cheap that will give a noticable amount of power?

i am not the best truck/car person in the world i know basics and i leanerd about 80% from the "Power Block" on spike TV and the rest from auto tech class, friends and u guys!

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Nothing cheap electronically is going to get you any power. The "chips" you buy from hypertech etc. are snake oil.

Spend the money on exhaust, cam, intake, heads, whatever, all will actually do something for performance. Of course, the more you do, the more the computer could use tuning.