Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Performance chips

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86454K30, Mar 17, 2007.

1. 86454K30

86454K30 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Has anyone had any luck with the JET performance chips? or thermostats? positives/negatives? I know they make 3 stage 1, stage2 and six pack. Do they work? I was thinking of putting one in my 88 V30 with a TBI 454 and TH400.

I appreciate any feedback......

Thanks

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

All those 'off the shelf' chips just add a little timing here and there, maybe a bit of fuel but they're very general and mild. I had one for a while. I couldn't swear to feeling any difference.
    Either get into tuning yourself or get someone like Brian at TBIchips (?) to burn one to your motor specs.

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Ill second that.

You would be better off buying some headers, a performance intake, or just some tbi upgrades than that chip. Heck...bump up the timing and add 93 octane and you got youself that chip.
    -Harrison

4. 86454K30

86454K30 1/2 ton status Premium Member

chip

Hey thanks for the info guys...I appreciate it. That's why I haven't spent the money on it...just thought maybe it might be worth it. I will try some "tinkerin".

5. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I am going to have Brian @ TBI Chips burn one for me when I "finish" getting parts for my 383. Just have to buy a fuel pump and bigger TB.

Eventually I will do the EBL like Southernspeed, but that is a ways down the road.

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Make some upgrades to the engine (i.e. headers, performance intake, heads, cam, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, injector spacer, etc) and then have a custom chip burned to your specs. With a tbi motor, you have a small cam selection that will work with the stock chip and heads will require a new chip. You can get away with headers and an intake with the stock chip but its a good idea to buy an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and guage to get maximum gains.

Once you have all the hardware goodies, call up tbichips or similar company and they will ask you your year, motor size, all your performance upgrades, tranny, and rearend ratio and burn a much better chip. And if you have a laptop you can always buy or make a connector and download winaldl (a diagnostics program) and do some data logging. Then you can give those figures to a good chip burner and you will have a perfect chip. That...or you can buy the stuff and burn your own.

Hope this helps.
    -Harrison

7. Col_Sanders

You know of any write ups on doing the data logging or EBL programming and such? I am a member on thirdgen and have searched over there for a while, but most of the results I came up with were fairly useless on anything other than telling what it is.

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I cant seem to find any writeups but then again I am horrible at searching. I know I have seen it somewhere before...and I know there is one on thirdgen. You might want to pm thunder because he is pretty knowledgeable on this topic. I have all the stuff to do this (laptop, winaldl, and the cable)..but for some reason I could never get it to work. I didnt have much time to mess with it but I was having some issues getting my computer to realize which com port the usb adapter was running on....so I was never able to use the software and thus I really have no experience with it. Sorry I wasnt much help.
    -Harrison

9. Col_Sanders

Yeah, I'm pretty bad at the whole interweb thing now. I have a pretty short attention span too so I guess that doesnt help!:haha: