Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Performance Friction Brake Pads

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnny reb, Mar 6, 2000.

1. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

Just installed some Performance Friction pads from Auto Zone about 1,000 miles ago. Now these things are squealing like a bat out of hell. Sounds like Freddy Kruger when he runs his blades on metal. They are wearing evenly and have plenty of pad left on them. Anybody have any ideas or similar problems with these pads?

2. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

No idea on the brand but there was a post in here about some non-squeek stuff you can get at your local parts store. Apparently silicon can work the same way. You take your pads off, apply to the back until it sets up sticky, and put them back on. I would have done this but mine just stopped squeeking!

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado (a.k.a. ThunderDog)

3. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i had the same problem...but the reason my were squeekin so bad is because i heated em up right after i installed them....so it glazed em over but they still worked fine...but i would sugest pullin the set u have on back off and buy some bendix met lock pads....they are a heavy duty pad and will last twice as long as normal...also pull the rotors off and have them turned....it should take care of the prob just as long as u dont heat up the brakes for the first 500 miles or so....

Chaz

"The stuck lemon"

4. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

Autozone should have some anti-squeak mystery goo that might work. I've seen it in little packets (kinda' like hot sauce[​IMG]). It was less than a buck so I'd start there...

Good Luck,

<font color=orange>STEVE<font color=orange>[​IMG]
    89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

5. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Easy does it on the break in. That's the key. Noth'n hard 1st several hundred miles, as mentioned above.

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

OK, I haven't actually tried this first hand You just remove them, grab a piece of sandpaper and sand them until the gloss is gone. That'll save you a few bucks since those have plenty of meat left. No more Freddy Kruger sounds... until you overheat them again[​IMG].

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]

7. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

squeak-be-gone

back when i was a hell-raiser with no job, we used a quick fix on sqeaky brakes. get your speed up to about 30 or 40 or so, and jam on the brakes. you want to get them hot real quick, to break through the glaze. i never tried it on a 4X, always passenger cars and the like. either this or the sandpaper trick. don't use very abrasive paper.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>