Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Performance Gear" ...buyer beware

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Steve_87K5, Mar 25, 2001.

1. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

\"Performance Gear\" ...buyer beware

Note, this is one mans experience. I bought a NV4500 from this guy "Wayne" in Lumberton MS.
    He advertises in national 4x4 magazines. When the trans arrived in bad condition, he
    later would not provide me with a bill of sale. The trans makes more noise than the engine!
    Email me for more details if interested.

SteveB

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: \"Performance Gear\" ...buyer beware

Are you running one of the "advance adapters"? Was thinking of getting an NV4500 (found a new one for like $1500) but a guy told me that he had to make his own adapter, because Advance Adapters requires you to do away with the harmonic balancer the NV uses, and you get tons of noise. For $350 or $400, he would sell you one of his home made machined aluminum adapters. Too rich for my blood just for an adapter. Curious what your noise is coming from, and if the AA stuff is the cause. Basically this problem has prevented me from having any further interest in the NV4500.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

3. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Re: \"Performance Gear\" ...buyer beware

The small flywheel at the back of the 4x4 version 4500 should be kept in there if possible.
    I run without one and there is a vibration. (I use the Advance Adaptors kit)

What happens is (as it looks to me) the output shaft rattles when you
    drift between coast and drive. This causes the splines between output shaft
    and the input to the transfer case to wear. In my case, after about 100k miles,
    the output shaft splines were worn off 75%. The input to my 205 (32 spline female)
    looks about 50%+ worn.

BTW, the first 4500 I bought was from JB Conversions, Sulphur LA. JB is a FIRST CLASS
    company. Unfortunately they have stopped selling 4500s.

SteveB