Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

performance goodies for a 6.2?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by rjfguitar, Jan 19, 2004.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What is available for aftermarket performance upgrades for a 6.2? Both bolt on and internal parts. Tried the search but didn't come up with anything. Since my 87' blazer deal fell through do to a knocking 350 I am searching for a 6.2 late model blazer with either a shot or blown up 6.2 so I can rebuild it with the most amount of performance upgrades I can find.
    Can a 6.2 be bored over? I'm basically looking for any power upgrade that can be used. What is the most amount of power one can make a 6.2 produce safely? What would you guys do? Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey buddy
    The 6.2 if built right can produce a lot of power depending on what you use.
    I once read a write up about a 300HP 6.2l N/A using te 92/93 6.2 block, 6.5 heads, special forged pistons,...
    I will try and search for it, I think on Diesel page but not sure.
    The guy was litterally laying black lines on the street on take off. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    By the way where in norcal are you?
    I see mid 80's diesel K5's here for sale from time to time, and there is one right now for cheap with a tired engine.
    You might not like it because it needs some work on the outside but the inside is pretty nice all power, burgundy velvet.
    And back to the 6.2, if you think you want to build it for a turbo, you can put the 18:1 pistons instead of the 21:1 so you can take advantage of higher boost numbers.

3. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey buddy
    The 6.2 if built right can produce a lot of power depending on what you use.
    I once read a write up about a 300HP 6.2l N/A using te 92/93 6.2 block, 6.5 heads, special forged pistons,...
    I will try and search for it, I think on Diesel page but not sure.
    The guy was litterally laying black lines on the street on take off. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    By the way where in norcal are you?
    I see mid 80's diesel K5's here for sale from time to time, and there is one right now for cheap with a tired engine.
    You might not like it because it needs some work on the outside but the inside is pretty nice all power, burgundy velvet.
    And back to the 6.2, if you think you want to build it for a turbo, you can put the 18:1 pistons instead of the 21:1 so you can take advantage of higher boost numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats what I was thinking..18.1 pistons and run some serious boost, performance intake(if one exists) high flow exhaust, play with the fuel and Maybe a little propane too. I would be very happy with about 550 to 600 FT-pounds of torque. What year is this rig? What I really wan't actually is a cherry 89-91 6.2 with burgandy interior, all power, and silver paint. I might be interested for the right price. What color is it?

I'm in Modesto. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

That is Dr. Lee's 6.2 you are remembering, but it was only 190 HP. He used the 6.5 fuel system and port matched everything, modified air cleaner, two air filter stacked ontop of each other, dual snorkels and a bunch of other mods. It isn't possible to make 300 HP from an NA 6.2 or 6.5, and is rather rare to see 300 HP from a modded 6.5 turbo. The 18:1 compression pistons are only available for the 6.5's (and 6.2 that used the smaller bore finish in the early 90s).

Jamie from Diesel Depot can help you get the engine parts you need, a search should revel his number.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well this truck is an 83 I think, and it does have the birgundy interior, you just need to change the red and white outside and make it silver since it need work.
    No rust though just run down paint.
    He was asking $700, he might take less now.
    It's in Sac

As for the 6.2 with 300 HP I don't know if it was Lee, I will try and find it but it wasn't 170, and now I am remembering they started with the 6.2 block, but bored out to 6.5, and a modified pump and a bunch of things, I think he even bumped up the comp ratio by shaving the deck and heads.
    When i find it I will post here.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A gone over 6.2 with the Banks Sidewinder system only put down 175 hp at the rear wheels...there is no way you'll ever get 300 hp without a turbo and some serious work. 190 without a turbo is impressive.

Anyways, the hp numbers are damn near useless, and tend to undermine the perceived power levels. Even the banks 6.2 which was relatively stock put down 450+ lbs of torque at the wheels.

Rene

7. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    A gone over 6.2 with the Banks Sidewinder system only put down 175 hp at the rear wheels...there is no way you'll ever get 300 hp without a turbo and some serious work. 190 without a turbo is impressive.

Anyways, the hp numbers are damn near useless, and tend to undermine the perceived power levels. Even the banks 6.2 which was relatively stock put down 450+ lbs of torque at the wheels.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is what i'm thinking too... I don't care about horsepower near as much as I wan't to make some serious torque. Do you guys think 500 to 600 ft pounds is capable with a 6.2? How hard is it to just build a beefed up 6.5 and put that in. A 6.5 bolts right in right? How much more power really could you get out of a 6.5 compared to a 6.2?

8. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

IMO your playing with fire trying to get that much power out of a 6.2 or a 6.5 for that matter. It will certainly not last near as long as it would in stock form and when it does go, it will probably go with a bang. There are so few guys out there getting any serious power out of these engines that I would consider it a very unproven platform for making a lot of power. To me, I think you have three choices. Leave it stock and let it last a long time, turbo it after the motor has been thoroughly gone through and rebuilt and get good power and longevity, or go all out spending a bunch of cash and just barely get to the levels of other light duty diesels and end up with basically a time bomb since you are way past the structural limits of the block, crank, and heads.

9. bigblock454

The Diesel Depot sells a 6.2 complete drop in turbo built right for about $5500. This setup have about 240 HP and 450-500 ft pounds. These setups have many modifications that allow for trouble free operation for 100K + miles. For a little more you could have the 6.5 drop in with 300 HP and 600 ft pounds. I have talked with Jamie at the Diesel Depot for hours on the phone, he knows his stuff and has years of experience with the GM diesels. Not to mention has built hundreds and knows where all the weaknesses are.

10. rjfguitar

Does anybody have a link for diesel depot?

11. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Click me These guys have a 300 HP 6.5

12. rjfguitar

impressive but very pricy! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

13. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Yeah.. the price isnt too pretty. I email them and asked how the life was on the engines. The guy said you can basically expect the same amount of life out of that engine as you can a regular 6.5.

14. bigblock454

Diesel Depot doesn't have a web site.

15. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Diesel Depot doesn't have a web site.

[/ QUOTE ]
    poo... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

16. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

17. rjfguitar