Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

performance mods for small block (carb, ignition, heads, cam)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudrunner78, May 4, 2002.

1. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

ok I have a fresh 350 bored .60 over. I have a edelbrock intake, and dynomax headers on this motor, I would like to improve the performance and need a few questions answered. First what carb should I run the holley avenger, or a jet quadrajet.

Should I leave the ignition stock or upgrade with a petronix kit or MSD 6?

Heads I know the vortecs are good heads but would cost me to much coin after the cost of swapping over intake and headers. Does anyone run World S/R torquer heads? Or any other suggestions? I am looking for max lowend power, but need some type of mid range.

And cam suggestions I have my eye on the extrem energy 4x4 cam 210/218 duration 447/.462 lift. I was planning on running 1.6 rockers with this cam.

I have assembled a few motors but I seem to spend alot of time and money swaping part to get a good combo. I figured where else to get the info I need to help save me some time and money. I am looking for a strong low end motor that has its usable power range from 1000 to 4000 rpm. Thanks in advace Jesse.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would definitly put MSD on this motor. Use whatever 6 series box you think is right for you, a blaster 2 or blaster SS coil, and a good set of Taylor or MSD wires.

3. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I have 350 motor with World S/R Toquer heads Ported and polished runners smoothed out and gasket matched and a Jet Quadra jet that is putting out about 400 h.p. I also run a MSD 6a box. with a recurved Proform distributor This is a great combo and it runs like a raped ape.

4. mudrunner78

I was looking at the 6 Offroad. I know the benifits from longer spark, does this box have a rev limiter. Jesse

5. mudrunner78

just curious what cam are you running in this combo. Jesse

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

No it doesn't come with the built in rev limiter, but it does have a special waterproof/vibproof rev limiter that you can buy seperate for around $70 threw Jegs or any other place. I love my offroad box, and wouldn't even think of not running an MSD setup on a HIPO engine like you are building.

7. mudrunner78

I have used MSD products before but those where one track motors. I hear alot of good things about the HEI at low rpms. HIPO motor haha. Jesse