Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

performer carb running rich??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wheelin247, Sep 30, 2001.

1. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

my truck is runnin really rich with my new engine and i dont really know how to turn it down so i dont waste so much gas ,gas is gettin more money and it keeps suckin more and more gas with it rich so does anybody know wich screw it is to turn it down ?....thanks alot

2. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

What model number is the carburetor? Look at the front of the baseplate for either holes on either side or aluminum limiter caps. If it has the caps, you'll need to remove them to access the screws. You also need a special mixture screw tool (~$10 at your local parts store). These screws only affect the IDLE circuit mixture. The only way to change it during normal throttle operation is to change the rods and jets to a smaller size. You might want to also check to see that your secondaries aren't opening up too fast and richening up things prematurely. Depending on the age of the carburetor, you might also be in need of a rebuild. All of this assumes a Q-Jet syle carburetor.
    Edelbrock's Carb Helpline is (800) 416-8628 if it's some other type. Hope that helps!

- Alan

'82 K10 Suburban Silverado (AKA U.S.S. Nimitz)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut!

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

How do you check how your secondaries are opening while you're under the hood? I thought I read somewhere that they would only open up while you were driving, not while you were parked?

<font color=blue> WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

4. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Dude if youve got an edelbrock performer carb p/n # 1406 or 1407 then you will never get it to run at an ideal mixture.Ive got a 1407 and it runs great on the road,very crisp throttle and lots of power.but off road its sucks @ss!First time I took my truck off road with that silly race car carb I bent a tierod,and broke a stub shaft because it would never idle right .either too rich or too lean and DO NOT take your truck on a hill of ANY kind with that thing,It will not run for long! sorry but my .02

5. Burbinator

You can't test the ACTUAL point at which they open, true. There is a screw on the passenger side of the airhorn that covers a hex screw (at least on mine, 1904 Edelbrock) that sets the tension of the upper butterflies. I set mine by seeing at what point they fall open (engine OFF) and then tension it, drive it, repeat until I found the point where it matched up fairly well with throttle position. The vacuum created by the secondary throttle plates is what opens the butterflies and actuates the rods. You're just adjusting how much vacuum it actually takes. I'm thinking that might be something for Wheelin to check, just in case his are set loose.

- Alan

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut!

6. wheelin247

its a brand new edelbrock performers its got to screw type things on the front of it and i dont know wich one is the right one to mess with its a edelbrock performer 600 cfm electric choke. thanks for your guys help

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Man, I gotta learn more about carbs[​IMG]......

<font color=blue> WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

8. Burbinator

Those are the ones on the front of the baseplate. There should only be two, with an inverted type slot screw in them (re. special tool). 1.5 turns out from bottom I'm told is a good starting point for idle mixture.

- Alan

9. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Edelbrock has a section on thier page about tuning performer carbs, check it out. I just got a 1406 performer and it has mechanical secondaries that work at a certain throttle point, not like vacuum sec. where they open when the engine load demands it.

My 73 K5 &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm&gt;http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm&lt;/a&gt; 350/TH350/NP203, Q-jet, Edelbrock intake, Vortec heads, 4" lift, and 36" TSL's

10. wheelin247

so i should screw the screws all the way to the bottom and go 1.5 turns on both and that should be ok ???

11. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

i thought it was 2.5 turns

<font color=blue>DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT[​IMG]
    <font color=red>PROUD TO BE AMERICAN[​IMG]

12. wheelin247

so do u guys know if its 2.5 turns or 1.5?

13. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    OK help is here. BUT, you need to get the book out on this carb. if you really want it to run right and mudhog91, you need a book too because these are very good carb.s if you set them up right!
    If you have a 600 cfm w/vac. secondary than you should have the 1406 like I do. It should be much easier for you to do because your not at 9,500ft. like me, right?
    Here is how it goes:
    To set the IMS (idle mixture screws)
    1. fully warm engine and ensure choke is fully open
    2. air cleaner in place.
    3. your idle should be set at 800 rpm or factory spec.s
    4. start with the air screws out 1.5 turns from bottom.
    5. adjust right screw to get maximum rpm. do not go rich beyond the maximum rpm.
    6. If the above changed the idle more than 40 rpm then readjust rpm back to 800.
    7. adjust the opposite (left) screw to get max. rpm. readjust idle if needed.
    8. carefully trim each IMS to again get max. rpm.
    9. go leaner just enough to get a 20 rpm drop in speed.
    10. reset rpm to desired rpm or 800.
    11. this is a lean-best idle set. setting richer than this will not improve idle quality or performance, but could tend to foul plugs.
    REMEMBER, this is only the air/fuel mix screws. If you have a problem with performance, you need the book so you can set it up to the way your motor and driving habits are. Changing main and secondary jets, metering rod and power springs are easy but you need to read the book to get it right.
    Also, get a set of off road springs and seats #1465 and you won't flood on the hills (I never have had a problem).
    If you set this carb. up properly you will love it and working on it is a peice of cake. If you don't, it will always give you trouble.
    One other thing, I made the mistake when I hooked up my vac. advance line from the dist. when I first put mine in and it ran really rich. Make sure you have it hooked up to the correct port in the front. Hope this helps.
    If you need to talk to edelbrock tech. call 1-310-782-2900 (than press 4) Shane is a great helper.
    Good luck.

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"8" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

14. Storm Trooper

Sorry, I ment Muddog91
    opps.[​IMG]

15. Burbinator

Storm is right on track...that's exactly what my manual says for my 1904. The distributor advance port is CRITICAL (I believe it's labeled "B" on the carb front, check your manual). Excellent, excellent carbs, but they do require a bit of "dialing" or they can be a b*&amp;$h. Follow that procedure and you should be good to go.

- Alan

16. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Do to edelbrock.com and download the 1406 manual. It has everything. PDF format I think.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> The mud's on it to hide that it's more than one color.[​IMG]

17. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Those are the ones on the front of the baseplate. There should only be two, with an inverted type slot screw in them (re. special tool). 1.5 turns out from bottom I'm told is a good starting point for idle mixture.

<hr></blockquote>

That's how I did mine.
    The hill thing is right. This weekend, the truck had to back down a steep hill without power brakes cause it wouldn't run [​IMG]
    I am currently looking into a q-jet. Especially since I know of several q-jets making it up that hill and it's killing me cause those were stock trucks!!!! LOL!

<font color=blue>Women should put pictures of missing men on beer cans...</font color=blue>
    Website link is in my profile [​IMG]

18. wheelin247

thanks alot trooper that helped me out alot im gonna do that tommarow morning for sure ...thanks !.....

19. Storm Trooper

No prob lemo,
    If you don't have the manual, try the download.
    It's really improtant to get it right.
    and DO THE OFF ROAD SPRINGS, it's worth it.
    Don't forget to set the floats and check the vac. line.