Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

performer intake @ racing cam

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wheelin247, Jan 22, 2001.

1. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

i have a 350 with a racing cam and drag headers im gettin a new inake and carb from a freinds its a performer intake and edelbrock 600 cfm electric choke carb will that work with tha racing cam or not ?? or will i have to get a different intake ?....thanks agian

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

From what (limited) I know about drag racing is that it is mostly high rpm stuff so the horsepower is high and the torque is by default lower. In a K5, torque is your biggest friend, so most of the stuff for the engines that works good is up to 6-7k rpm. The performer intake/cam combo is what I run and like it much. It is designed for off idle to about 6500rpm. If I was you, I would spend another $100-150 and get a cam to mathc the performer intake. BTW, do you have any head work?? The carb will be just fine. Check it's jet sizes tho'. In other words, it sounds like you have a higher rpm engine and are thinking about putting a lower rpm intake on it. While higher rpm may be good, it isn't neccessarily what a k5 needs. Personally I wouldn't have more of an intake than the performer. All the others are for rpms higher than idle. Unless you plan on doing mostly mud running, in which case you want high rpms.....I guess what I'm saying in all this rabling is that your cam and new intake don't match.

[​IMG]

3. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

I would go with a torker 2 or performer rpm with a 750cfm manual choke carb. A 600cfm carb is too small for a hi rpm motor.

4. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

wheelin post the cam specs thats the only way we can tell you what to do with the motor. are the heads on the 350 big valved? is there a lot of port work done to the heads?? does the 350 have high compression?? usually a "race cam" requires the use of race gas because of the high compression required to make the motor run right. also about the carb, a carb size is determined from cubic inches of an engine X RPM range, so I suspect a 750 is overkill, they usually are for a 350. its hard to tell though. give us as much info as you can, we can help you better........js