Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Perko Battery Switch Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RodsRVF, Jun 21, 2006.

1. RodsRVF

RodsRVF Registered Member

So I have search info on this but am still a little confused.
    I want to get a switch for my 1988 K5 so I can have a back up since I use it only for a hunting truck. I found this one and though it would be great so I could turn it to the Off and lock it for when I am not using the truck. (At least make it a little harder to steal!) I call the Perko to see if what the right one for the K5 and was asked if my alternator was protected or not. I don't know, so I thought I would ask for help.
    Thanks,
    Rod

PS here is the one I am thinking of getting. Is this a good price?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4638913463&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

With that type of battery switch if you switch to all off you can fry the alt's regulator or diodes if the engine is running when you make the switch. Some of those switches have a protection circuit built into them to prevent this problem.

With the battery off you will loose any computer memory (EFI, radio presets, etc.) unless you jumper across the switch with a small wire. If you opt to do that I HIGHLY recommend that you put a low amp fuse in the wire. This so that trying to start with the switch off pops the fuse instead of more dire problems.

3. RodsRVF

RodsRVF Registered Member

I am not worried about radio presets at all. Is there something I should worry about on the EFI? When I was going on a trip for a while I pulled one of the cables off the battery to make sure it was not dead when I got back. I thought this would be an easier way of doing that.

How would I know if the switch I am looking at above has protection built in or not? If you know of a better unit than this can you let me know which one to get?
    Thanks.

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

When you unhook or turn off the battery(ies) from the EFI computer for more than a couple of seconds you'll loose what ever the computer has learned about the engine. It's not big deal - just that the engine might run a little weird when you first start it the next time.
    Know that the computer draws a puny current to keep that memory alive though. So if you turn the switch off and have the 'memory keep alive' fused wire in place it will eventually discharge the battery to the point where it won't start.

Cruise the West Marine electrical section. They usually note which switches have the protection circuit in them. Del City & Waytek may also note which switches have that circuit.

5. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Summit has battery kill switches. I use one for my #2 battery.