Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Permits required for offroading???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddin4fun, Jun 5, 2002.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Subject: Use caution with new group

A company or program called Superior Trails is developing a permit scheme for all federal lands. The company is hoping to get
    federal authorization to institute a mandatory permit costing $35.00 as a requirement for all OHV travel on
    federally-managed lands. The permit would be required before any person may travel on federal land using four wheel drives,
    ATVs, or motorcycles. In order to obtain a permit a user would be required to take a test and pass it pertaining to
    appropriate mechanical requirements and user ethics. Test taking stations would be available at merchants such as auto
    dealers, parts places, and 4x4 shops.

In addition to the permit, the company would institute its own law enforcement regulations. Fines for violations of the
    regulations are ranging from $900 to $1000 per violation.

I have been discussing the program with one of the partners of the company and trying to explain to them the problems
    associated with this system. He has recently informed me that he intends to poll four wheel drive clubs to see whether they
    support the development of such a system.

One of the initial problems I have with this concept (and I have many problems with it right now) is that their website is
    currently set up to allow a user to take the test and if they pass, collect their $35.00 for a permit. The website can be
    viewed at www.superiortrail.com . However, until the program is approved legislatively through Congress the money you spend
    on a permit gets you nothing. Also, the website has Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) but it fails to plainly state that this
    program would REQUIRE every motorized user to have one of their permits to recreate on federal lands and it fails to indicate
    that a permit paid for now means nothing and the money the user spends to get the permit ($35.00) gets them nothing, it
    simply lines the pocket of the company developing the program. In short, I have strongly indicated to these people my
    problems with their idea.

My concern is that your member clubs will only get a part of the story when they are polled for their reaction. Please advise
    them to proceed cautiously with this company and their program and to ask a lot of questions if they are polled before taking
    a position on whether to support this program.

Thanks for taking the time to pass this information on to all your members.

2. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

i see many problems with this as well. To start out though I do not mind a federal permit as long as it usage allows for the upkeep of current 4x4 trails and halts the closure of this land. if the federal government were to adopt the policy intended by this company i fear that wheelin will start to be mentioned in the same sentence as the good ol' days.

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

well...they'll start out with this as being a 'donation' sorta...then they'll start with the restrictions on tire size, this and that...and eventually we'll all be wheelin in bone stock ford explorers or something stupid like that! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Those tests are indeed a joke /forums/images/icons/frown.gif !
    Look at this question:
    13. Pre trip safety checklist: Four wheel drive off-road vehicles
    You should check...

a) throttle cables for free movement
    b) Inspect skis and track for alignment and tension
    c) all fluids
    d) All of the above
    e) None of the above

and this one,

17. Pre trip safety checklist: Snowmobiles
    You should check...

a) locking hubs
    b) your winch for proper operation
    c) any warmers for proper operation
    d) All of the above
    e) None of the above

It looks like they got the answers sorta mixed up but they obviously have no clue what they're talking about......./forums/images/icons/mad.gif

6. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

TOTAL BULLSH%T!!

This is yet another private interest exploiting our dimwitted federal government. Already the Fee-Demo program, which was supposed to END by the way, was suspicioulsy lobbied for by a coalition consisting of Disney, Coleman, and KOA. And now we have this!! This has to end. We already pay enough taxes, and we should NOT be responsible for our stupid goverment's missappropriation of federal funds away from public lands.

Erik H.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like a scam.
    Thanks for posting this.
    If this is for real you need to write your state reps and tell them you don't want this program. It takes money from the local forest that is collected in the way of parking and day use permits. It dumps it back at the federal level where it's sure to get squandered and do no good at the local level.

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

It is a scam. It's been all over the 4x4 wires all over the place, and is confirmed as a scam.

9. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Ohh OHh I
    wana be a Maveric
    'sing" I wana be a offroad ranger"
    i hope no one actaully paid these fools anything