Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Perpetually leaning K5 syndrome

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Sep 2, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Ok... here's the deal. Bryan's rig is leaning to the driver's side quite a bit. His rear springs had cracked... the drivers side cracked in two places, and the passenger cracked in one place. BOTH were sagging, but more so to the drivers side.

We have since replaced the springs in the rear (thanks BIGJ!) yet the truck continues to sit crooked.

The question here is, WTF! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I have racked my sorry little brain over this issue for a week or so now... and I can't come up with an idea thats worth any salt.

#1. Could the front springs have been "damaged" while the rear springs were sagging, causing THEM to now lean... which would also show up in the rear of the truck?

#2. What would cause the truck to lean if its COMPLETELY unloaded, just sitting there?

#3. We've contemplated binding of some sort due to his front flanges (vs. hubs) on an open carrier 60. I don't buy it.

#4. We've contemplated binding due to the Detroit that we recently installed. It doesn't seem to ever UNLOCK /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, therefore it tweaks the suspension @ every turn. Possible?

#5. We're loosing our minds, and its really EVERY OTHER car has a lean... and they need to check their sh!t... not us.

Any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Thanks again all! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Measure from level ground to the frame at each corner, then measure the body at the same points. If the difference between the measurements side to side isnt the same, then it could be a body mount bushing or even the subframe (dont know if thats the correct term) is giving way from rust or hard wheeling. Hope this makes sense.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Frame could definitely be tweaked from having jacked up springs so long.

4. KRAZIE87K5

Tyler-

Makes plenty of sense, but the lean is in the frame. The body and the frame lean at the same rate. I am fairly sure the body is relatively straight as well.

Tim-

Yea. My only question at this point is then... How long should he expect to have to deal with this before it straightens itself out again? It really is PRETTY DAMN crooked... so its fairly annoying. Even to me... and its not even my damn truck!

-Dan

-Dan

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Mine does the same thing and I put new spings all around and it's still that way... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I would check the front springs real close. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Is Bryan by any chance a man of... errr, exaggerated proportions? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif </font>

9. KRAZIE87K5

How would one "check" the front springs? Lets immediately rule out the front springs being cracked, or anything else extreme like that. They have good bushings too.

Keep in mind, the rear leans more than the front. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

-Dan

10. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Bryan weighs like 2 pounds.

11. KRAZIE87K5

Not to mention he's about 6'1"... I think he actually tips the scales somewhere around 160-170ish... so NO, he's nothing the suspension should whine about.

12. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Take all the springs off you burb and throw em under his K5 for a day on the weekends...If it straightens out...its the springs...if not, look at bent or damaged shackles (bushings toast? etc). Then I would start looking at the frame for cracks or twisted x-members...

Chris

13. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Does it lean this bad??? [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Sounds like a bent frame or crossmember issue. Has it been wrecked?

I figured the springs would fix it. Guess it's time to break out the tape measure and start comparing sides.

BIGJ

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Tim-

Yea. My only question at this point is then... How long should he expect to have to deal with this before it straightens itself out again? It really is PRETTY DAMN crooked... so its fairly annoying. Even to me... and its not even my damn truck!

-Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to ask my buddy Jason the next time I see him. He let one of his 44" Ground Hawgs go flat and left it that way for several months and his frame got fairly tweaked. I wonder if it's straight even now, that was probably two years ago.

16. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    How would one "check" the front springs? Lets immediately rule out the front springs being cracked, or anything else extreme like that. They have good bushings too.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well that rules out that I guess. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif My passenger front main leaf spring is bent up and it makes the drivers side rear a little lower is why I said check the front springs.
    Are you looking at it before you start drinking or after, that makes a big differance? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

In that case just drink until the truck looks straight.

18. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    In that case just drink until the truck looks straight.

[/ QUOTE ]
    HA, /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif For once I agree with you! but i still don't like you.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't care personally if you agree with me or like me. In fact, I'd prefer that you don't.

20. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am just tired of arguing about everything.