Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Persistent oil leak

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skink4president, Feb 4, 2006.

1. skink4president

skink4president Registered Member

HELP! I've just about lost it over this one. A few months back I dropped the oil pan on my '73 k5 (350/350) to replace the rear main seal. While I was at it I dropped in a new pump, pick-up and new stock oil pan (the old one was beyond recognition). Almost immeditately after getting everything back together the pan-to-timing cover seal starts to leak:mad:. Because it's a '73 I used the thin front seal not paying attention to the fact that the previous owner had thrown on a crappy aftermarket timing cover that I was told uses a THICK front seal. So. . . . . I drop the pan again and throw in a thick seal. Thing still leaks:mad::mad:. So I junk the old chrome timing cover in favor of a new Edelbrock aluminum one with the idea that it'll be more rigid and contains no welds. Guess what. . . . thing still leaks:mad::mad::mad:!

Now I'm thinking of going with a one-piece gasket for a change of pace to see if it helps. I'm installing the gaskets properly and torquing the pan to approx. 12 ft. lbs.

Any ideas???? Typically I wouldn't mind a small oil leak but it's gotten personal:D!

2. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

did you use RTV at the corners?

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Agreed

4. skink4president

Yeah, I RTV'd the corners. Followed all the rules to a T. Is there a difference between a '73 pan and a '74? As far as I know early SB is early SB but up to '73 they used the thin front seal and after the thick. I fugured this had to do with the timing cover and not the pan. I think they changed to the thick front seal so the TC could be replaced without removing the pan (that's what some old mechanics have told me:))

5. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Use a felpro one piece oil pan gasket. No leaks and its reusable:D

6. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I'll second the one-piece felpro unit. That thing is the best oil pan gasket I have ever used. Its like a piece of art....wait a minute, its a gasket. Oh well, it is nice, and it doesn't like to leak.

7. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

go through some mud :dunno: that usualy stops my leaks :burb:

8. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You might try torquing it to more than 12 foot pounds. I usually go about 20 foot pounds. I know 12 pounds is the recomended, but I have never agreed with that.

9. skink4president

Thanks to everyone who posted.:waytogo: I'll grab one of the Fel-pro gaskets this week. BTW - I'm using those $60 :eek1: Fel-pro valve cover gastets. I know it's a lot for valve cover gaskets but the things are great (silicone, compression limiters, reusable, etc) and put a stop to those annoying leaks!

10. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I didn't know they made those. I'll have to do a search and find some. I've been battling valve cover leaks for a long time....

11. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It costs me 55 bucks each, but I will NEVER touch another multi-peice oil pan gasket ever again!

Those felpro silicone gaskets are simply incredible!