Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Personal opinions about lifts.

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dieselmh, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for your personal opinions about different lift kit makers. I'm looking for an 8 inch suspension lift, and I don't know what company to go with. It will be on my 1970 K5 that will be used mostly for mud and a little climbing. Would it be best to go with a 4 inch lift in back with a shackle flip, or 8 inch springs. I don't want to run blocks at all. I'm looking for all the opinions I can get since we all know that the manufacturers aren't going to tell me "Our stuff sucks, don't buy it." Thanks for the help.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have heard good things about BDS.
    Keep inmind if you buy pre-made spring pack they are made by useing Pick-Up weight specs not a Blazer so 4" in front and 4" in back chances are your butt will sag /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    If I wanted 8 I would do the 5" spring with 4" shakel flip.
    The front your peerty much stuck with 8" pack.
    I agree 8" lift should NOT have blocks, well some agrue that 2" blocks don't increase axel wrap.....sup to you
    Good Luck

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Deisel,

The first thing I would do is get an accurate weight of your truck (front & rear is OK, 4-corner weights would be even better).....then call Steve at ORD.

They used that information (and some measurements off my existing suspension) to design custom springs for my '72. They were not rediculously expensive (around $390 for the front springs) and they were designed specifically for MY truck and the WEIGHT of my truck. That will make a big difference in the type of ride quality you'll get.

Each manufacturer will have a different theory about what spring rate is best for a "universal" suspension kit. The values will be wildly different from manufacturer to manufacturer....with custom springs, there are less compromises and less "guessing" about what is needed.

Anyway, I know Steve can do 1st Gen springs from personal experience, and he's the most awesome person to deal with anyway. Very patient and spends time explaining everything.

4. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

I have an eight inch lift on mine, all springs. SkyJacker is the only brand that I know of that makes 8" rear springs for our blazers(superlift only makes front springs in 8) I can't complain, the ride isn't too bad, and the rear doesn't sag. As far as the ride goes, I've been in blazers with 4" lifts that have stiffer rides. The rears go for about $225 at 4wheel parts. Good luck