Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Perspective (a good read)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Skigirl, May 2, 2003.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

PERSPECTIVE

If we could shrink the earth's population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, it would look something like the following.

There would be: 57 Asians. 21 Europeans. 14 from the Western Hemisphere, both north and south. 8 would be Africans. 52 would be female. 48 would be male. 6 people would possess 59% of the entire world's wealth. 80 people would live in substandard housing. 70 would be unable to read. 50 would suffer from malnutrition. 1 would be near death. 1 would be near birth.

1 (yes, only 1) would have a college education. 1 (yes, only 1) would own a computer.

When one considers our world from such a compressed perspective, the need for acceptance, understanding and education becomes glaringly apparent.

And, therefore . . . If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep, you are richer than 75% of this world. If you woke up this morning with more health than illness, you are more fortunate than the million who will not survive this week.

If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace, you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy. If you can attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death, you are more
    fortunate than three billion people in the world.

If your parents are still alive and still married, you are very rare.

Ifyou can read this message, you are more fortunate than over two billion people in the world who cannot read at all.

If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation, you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I'll go ahead and represent for the lowest common denominator:

[ QUOTE ]
    52 would be female. 48 would be male

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif WOOOOHOOOOO! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thank you, resume your deep, introspective thought.

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Well said Skigirl! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

sorry to bust your bubble, but most of the statistics on that are bad. check out Snopes

nonetheless, the point being made is a good one /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

But where does the Fumes come into this scenario..... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gifFor there can be only one.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    sorry to bust your bubble, but most of the statistics on that are bad. check out Snopes

nonetheless, the point being made is a good one /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    this has always bugged me... who says snopes is the authority on everything? just curious, but everytime something comes up that can and probably is, people point to snopes.. i'm just wondering why they are experts on everything... i'm in no way starting trouble, just wondering

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Snopes will prove to be more accurate and if they can't then they will say it's true ,indetermined or that they can't dis-prove something....I feel a Z3PR buzz coming on..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Heres one I just read, did I read it right.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Coriolis effect... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif [ QUOTE ]
    http://www.snopes.com/common/page.gif

[/ QUOTE ]This is at the bottom of the page filled with way more info, I feel as though, Ive been bamboozled.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Snopes will prove to be more accurate and if they can't then they will say it's true ,indetermined or that they can't dis-prove something....I feel a Z3PR buzz coming on..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Nope, I don't know sh*t about snopes.

11. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Don't know about Snopes. But here's some other facts: Perspective

The current population is approximately 6.3 billion. 23%, or 1.8 BILLION people live in extreme poverty. This does not count self induced poverty brought on by ownership of old Chevys or GMs.

At the current rate, it will take 130 years to rid the world of hunger.

Every day, 30,000 children die of preventable diseases. That's 11 million a year.

840 million people access the internet (14% of the world's population). 164 million (20%) are in the U.S.

There are 1.7 billion people between 10 and 24 years old. 554 million of those between 15 and 19 are illiterate.

So maybe the initial post isn't so far off base.

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    This does not count self induced poverty brought on by ownership of old Chevys or GMs.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

gah, we're americans, if we wanted to be as bad off as everyone else, we woulda stayed in England. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

14. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

...or if we wanted to be stupider, we'd have stayed in France /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

OK I just went and looked and my water doesn't go clockwise or counter clockwise. I think the drain is clogged...

16. landsmasher

[ QUOTE ]
    80 people would live in substandard housing. 70 would be unable to read. 50 would suffer from malnutrition. 1 would be near death.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds a lot like this place... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Nah, that's Barstow. I was the one near death the last time I was there.

18. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    There would be: 57 Asians. 21 Europeans. 14 from the Western Hemisphere, both north and south. 8 would be Africans.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ok Im a little lost here. What about all the other races? What about Arabs and such? This leads Me to belive that this little perspective is just a little wrong.

19. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

arabs are located in Asia and Africa, as far as the "such", I'm not familiar with that race... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. landsmasher

[ QUOTE ]
    What about all the other races?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya mean like Californians?