Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pet grooming

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Anyone have too deal with a long hair cat ??? Our ragdoll has some tangles in his hair and won't let me brush him anymore. I'm about too the point of getting a clipper and making him a short hair cat for awhile. Any recomendations ??

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

my mother in laws cat is 17, and she quit cleaning herself years ago. so they just cut the clumps out and then brush her.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

we adopted a grey long hair cat a few years ago... she was un tame and lived outside all the time... whenever she got wet her hair would get mats. After 2 years of trying we finally got her tamed to come inside (before she just ran away) and cut all her hair off for the summer (except on her head) but after a while the mats grew in again. It wouldnt be so bad if she was civilized, but she lived outside 95% of her life.

4. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Take it to the vet and they will sedate and shave the cat. Or some good gloves jacket and a friend willing to hold the cat while you shave it.:grin:

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

give it a bath. put shampoo in the toilet, throw the cat in, close the lid and sit on it, flush. clear a path between the toilet and the way outside and lift the lid

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yeah, I've read that one too. Only thing is, our cats don't go outside, and this one has all his claws !!!! Anywho, I ordered a trimmer this afternoon. Battery powered thing with clips to adjust how short it cuts the hair. I'll take him in the bathroom, close the door (Cat can't run away then, plus makes easy too clean up hair) and trim him when the damn thing arives.

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ragdolls are pretty cool looking cats, my sis had one.. i always wanted a Maine Coon myself...

my sis used to be a cat breeder for awhile. Turkish Vans, nastiest cats ever. my ex bro in law would come out seriously bleeding after bathing them suckers..

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Amen to the Coons. Plus, they're so easy-going, you don't even need welding gloves to bathe them. They just look miserable and howl a little :D I'm told that Ragdolls are great cats too.

Of the four my ex-wife and I have, the guys tend to matt more in the summers; the ladies seem to wash better. We've found that combing them, trimming with with shears, like you'd use on yourself for a buzzcut, and then scissors for the nasty parts, is the best arrangement.

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Make sure you get the correct size trimmer head, ask your local dog groomer for advice. If you get the wrong size or use a dog size trimmer head it will pick up the skin and nick it. Try to buy a quiet running trimmer as well, the noise agitates them sometimes. It helps to have someone hold kitty while your at it.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I ordered a battery powered Wahl with the plastic clips that keep the trimmer head a 1/2 inch to 1 inch to 1.5 inch to 2 inch from the skin. I'll start off with the longest attachment, and work it shorter each time till all the matts are out. He isn't going too like it, but it has too be done. Then he'll get brushed daily from then on. His coat will grow back, so no biggie.

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

We are using an Andis AG2 with a 10/ 1 1/2mm blade. You can also get an aerosol can of cooling spray - it keeps the blade from burning their skin. After you trim for a minute or two you spray the blade with a quick blast of it to keep it cool to the touch. If you get a hot cutter on them they don't like it too much. Make sure to keep the cutting head oiled, clean it with a toothbrush or something similar after each use.

We've had a couple with matting problems and the buzzer makes life much easier.

Good luck!