Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pete Jackson gear drive?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Jun 13, 2001.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I was just toying with the idea, but would it be stupid to put a Pete Jackson gear drive in my truck? Maybe it's just me, but I think it would sound sweet roll'n up with your engine whining. Then I could tell everyone I have a BLOWER! hahaha They aren't really expensive and heard they work really well.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

From what Ive heard from the guys at a local speed shop, its not worth it unless your motor is really, and I mean really built up. They told me it costs 20 horsepower for the sake of better cam timing. I guess the extra friction from the gears is where you lose the horsepower. Now, these guys could have been wrong, so anyone who has heard different please correct me.
    Tyler

3. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

I totally agree with BlueBlazer62. If you want to spend the money and the time for installation to gain some noise and lose approximately 20 hp, then go for it. But, they are really meant for high rpm, high compression engines with a roller cam, where cam timing is critical and a chain drive won't do. Absolutely nothing wrong with running a gear drive; it won't hurt anything, but will cost you some hp.

502Burban

4. Motoronbrain

Motoronbrain Registered Member

I put in a Cloyes gear drive and did not notice a loss of horse power. I think it sounds cool too.

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>You cant run a gear drive on your motor. The knock sensor will pick up the noise from it and the computer will retard your timing. </font color=blue>

[image]http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/53-288682-mudpit3.jpg[/image]

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

big gray is right. It will screw up the computer. It does cost HP to run and also you have to remember the "whine" is from the gears. this whine is harmonics. I have heard(several times) that you should only use these with steel cranks and good balancers. Harmonics kill!! and should be avoided. I have used them in several engines that I have built, But they also had steel cranks, fluid dampners, roller cams and many other pieces. I have never used one on a stock engine, or would I recommend one. But I gotta agree, I think the noise is cool!!!!!!

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

7. Motoronbrain

Motoronbrain Registered Member

I keep forgetting that they made Blazers with all the new do dads on them. I have a 71 with a pretty stout small block in it. It also has a steel crank in it. I have never had anyone that I know of put one on a cast crank. I would hope that on companies stand point, such as Pete Jackson that they would warn you about the problems with installing it on a cast cranked motor if it is a problem.