Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pete jackson geardrive on a california vehicle?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rix_Gotta_Blazer, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

are gear drives legal to put on an emmissions controlled vehicle in califronia? i am hoping to put some pete jackson gears on my '81. is this possible? thanks in advance.

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Best thing to do is contact the manufacturer. I'm not certain, but I can't imagine a geardrive being illegal. In no way could it effect engine emissions.

3. blwnbwtie

blwnbwtie Registered Member

well technically anything you do to a vehicle that was not original is illegal. its in one of those laws. but i wouldnt worry about it, i dont think they will do anything about it. stupid things are illegal though, i bought a chevy bowtie wing nut from GM performance and on the back it had the for off-highway use only. What a load of crap, how could a wingnut affect anything?

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

umm, it shouldnt be illegal, but does the motor you are putting it on have knock sensor? that can be affected sometimes.
    i dotn know what year they started using them dang things.
    grant

5. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

You might think pretty hard if you think you want the noisy one. I have one on my truck and it works fine but it can get to be annoying sometimes with the constant whining noise. My truck has a loud exhaust and I cant hardly hear it over the stereo anyway, so it's not too bad, but if it's not your thing I would suggest getting the quiet one.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah others on the car boards have said the same thing...quiet is audible, but not annoying, the "loud" ones are too much.

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

we put one in a truck with a knock sensor. THAT DIDN"T WORK!! ran worse than when the stock chain was loose! Personaly, I think they are a waste of money. There are better things to spend funds on. but they sound cool!!

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Personaly, I think they are a waste of money. There are better things to spend funds on.

[/ QUOTE ] I couldn't agree more. If you're running a race engine, where an extra couple of HP at 7,500+ RPM might make the difference between first place or also-ran, then it's a good thiing to have. On a daily driver, it's just a very expensive noise maker. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I agree with bablazer, they sound really cool, but I'd never install one on one of my vehicles. A nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there... </font color>

10. Frank74

Frank74 Registered Member

They aren't really reccomended for over 7,000 rpm. A fellow student at my high school has a 73 chevy fleetside longbed, complete with 39.5 TSLs and a 396 BB. He has a pete jackson gear drive, (sounds real nice)you have the gear whine, his tire noise, angry 3 chamber flowmasters, and a huge cam you can hear echo through the pipes. The PJ gear drive sounds great, and I have thought of buying one too. There's another kid with an 80's F-350 and he has a gear drive on his 460, with only cats, sounds pretty cool. So, I think it is more of a cool factor, but you do get a little more stabilized timing.

11. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I've got a PJ Noisy in my 388. I love they way it sounds and the best thing about it is that is will last indefinately. There is no chain to stretch. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have a Pete Jackson Gear Drive and so does Mudnutt in his daily driver. You get used to it and it just becomes white noise after a while.... If you have a knock sensor it could affect it's operation. One thing that is good to remember too. The gears are bolted directly to the cam and mounted solid to the crank. The noisy gear drives do send harmonics through the valve train and over an extended time could cause excessive wear. I rebuild my own engines, usually before they need it anyway so that does not bother me. If you will be trying to get 200,000,000,000,000,000,000 miles out of your engine without a rebuild it may prevent that.

John