Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pfriggin' Pfizer

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 76zimmer, Jan 24, 2007.

1. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So I work in Kzoo....they are shutting down the downtown R&D; 250 jobs..... AnnArbor another 2100 jobs. But you don't see those a$$holes taking paycuts or the management being eliminated....Hell a couple of those jobs can make a couple hundred grunt jobs. This stuff just keeps coming and everybody is working under a threat of losing there job, due to Adapting To Scale.....more bullsh!t. Keep sending the stuff to China, and we'll all be in deep sh!t in another 10 years. I heard an economist Monday on the radio saying the Michigan job market wouldn't be at its yr. 2000 level again until 2020. Nice real nice.:doah: :doah:

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Michigan must have some issues... most other places in the country have a LOT more people working now than they did in 2000. 4.x% unemployment is essentially a "fully employed" work force.

In any case, hope things get better soon. Maybe you could transfer/move?

j

3. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I know man!!! I can't believe it. My buddies parents(both engineers at pfizer) lost their posissions within the last year and half. Sucks, I had an interview there for a tech, but I lost it to "filled internally" grrrr.

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

and its gonna get worse Jess.those who stick around will do pretty good.it happened in the 70's also.everything sucked for my dad. he was washing windows for $3.00 an hour.but he stuck to his guns and it worked out.he kep us fed and a roof over our head. and Christmas was HUGE.birthdays were great also.a work ethic helps.sometimes you have to do stuff you don't want to do.we will be fine Jess.its just gonna be tough for a spell.

5. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I hope your right. I'm getting decent pay right now but no where near what I'm worth. The same job in IN or IL is easily pulling in twice what I make.

6. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

we put to much into the auto industry.with the outsorcing we are loosing.since 1911 we have relied on cars to make us.remember when we laughed at japans cars.now they are kicking our ass.when we yell buy AMERICAN,its a desperate plea to save our situation.too late

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

union labor agreements pretty much precludes the possibility to the big 3 manufacturing much here for very much longer. I forsee a time in the very near future when NO cars are made here anymore (by ford/chev/chyrsler).... trucks, yes... definitely... but not cars. Laborers overseas don't ask for pensions and their medical coverage costs like $500 a year total. No real way to compete with that. Its nothing new really... imagine all the people who used to work in the electronics manufacturing industry in the US in the 20th century. Not much of that going on here anymore. doh!

j

8. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Soooo :rolleyes: ?

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why do people always expect that management will take a hit? Because its "fair"? Their job is to ensure that the company makes a profit. Because they don't need the local R&D or production force to make non-profitable drugs, or to continue research on a drug or drugs that will not be profitable, they lay off that part of the workforce.

10. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Well, there's a little more to it than that. Yeah, they had some areas to cut back in that weren't making money. But, they choose to close the facilities here in Michigan, and that is for a reason. Michigan is not competing hard enough to attract and keep businesses. They are offering a good number of those people their same job at their facilities out east.

Our elustrious governor claims she has tried to negotiate with Pfizer in the past, but obviously she didn't do enough. Instead, she keeps blaming all her problems on her inheritence from the previous govenor,and is concentrated on the wrong things, well mabey she gets the message now, hopefully, but her first 4 years all she did was recind of bunch of things the previous govenor put in place to grow the state's economy. Instead she helps Kwame keep the good people of Detroit on aid and says the state's number one priority should be education? What? Education, while valourous to pursue, but there won't be anything to educate if she doesn't get off here arse and realize that business and economy drive everything, and recruiting jobs and retaining jobs in this state is paramount. No, let's lift the ban on the 1 6month term to handouts to unlimited 6-month term handouts. Basically, where's the motivation to get a job if you can get handouts from the state for free. Yeah, that's what we need to do, hey, raise all the property and corporate taxes to pay for it too. Yeah..great idea.

And while the big three do struggle with legacy pensions and health coverage, the state could attract the companies that are doing well. Honda, just annouced last year they will be building a new plant in Indiana. Michigan was in the running, at least, but lost out.

11. cbbr

Sounds like here. It's always more complicated than it appears at first blush.

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Part of the reason is it makes a good story. Especially when its a name everyone knows. Even more so when the men who took the real risks and built the company are not the ones getting the huge dollars.

Home Depot is the latest example, and in the news daily here because their HQ is here. Naradelli got a $210,000,000 payout when he left after not doing much keep HD making money. (I could make a huge post on that, but its another topic). If that makes news in a place like Atlanta where things are booming and "Joe Six-pack" isn't playing the blame game-because he's making money, too- I could see it being a HUGE deal in MI when Hank McKinnell of Pfizer gets a $213,000,000 "golden parachute".

Who knows maybe the plan is to drive everyone out of MI and make it America's first Muslium state?

13. cbbr

The salary's are crazy, I agree, but that has nothing to do with my question. I am amazed at the fact that every time there are layoffs, someone points out the fact that the management did not take a hit as if its a surprise.

As to the salaries and golden parachutes, the companies (and presumably shareholders) make those deals on the front side and then when they have to live up to them, everyone acts surprised about that too.

It is the after the fact "crying foul" part that I don't get.

14. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Sorry, the point got lost in my rambling:
    "It makes good copy, especially if the local economy is slow"

15. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Daaaaammmmmnnnnnnnnnn!!!:eek1:

Buuuurrrrrrrnnnnnnnnn!:angry1: :angry1:

The part of Pfizer I work for now started out as The Upjohn Co. I started in 86' when it was the dream job to have in the region. They treated their employees very good. More than just a good paying job. Believe me we were spoiled. Over the years as with everything else there is global competition, and it has affected us dramatically. In K-zoo county alone Upjohn used to employ over 7000 just 12 years ago. Now we are down to less than half that. So its dropped housing and everything else with it. We used to have a GM manufacturing plant but that was lost too. The Michigan unemployment rate is almost double the national average. So other than the great tradition of automotive relevance that this state has made, we just aren't able to compete with the rest of the world when they (China) can make stuff for 1/2 the cost by the time it is shipped into this country.
    I even read that China has a new auto manufacturer looking to build in the US, and Gov. Granhole was catering to them to build in Mich.
    I just hope that my site can hang on at least another 5-8 years.