Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Phesant hunting within 2 hours of chicago?

Discussion in 'Midwest Region' started by laketex, Nov 9, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hey yall, I'm looking to take my dad phesant hunting next saturday when he's up visiting. I need a good place to go. There's always public lands, but does anyone have any good advice on maybe a guided hunt or private land where i could gain legal access?

TIA,

Bryan

2. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

3. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

Bryan,
    Its a little farther then 2 hours, but I know of a place in NE MO that has a bird farm. They do hunts and their birds are great. Its called Otter Creek Outfitters. If you are interested, email or PM me and I can give you more info.
    Troy

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

5. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

Man I thought it took two hours just to cross the street in Chicago.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There is a place in Wilmington called Des Plaines Conservation Area that allows pheseant hunting but you have to get permits way ahead of time and stuff. You need a dog to hunt it, but its not a bad place if you like pheseants...there are tons of them. I learned very quickly that I'm no good at pheasant hunting there and never went again. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ok this sounds good...what are our odds without a dog?

We're looking into guided hunts, but that's hella bling bling $$$$$$$. It sure would be nice to take a couple birds home though!

Hustler, we're only going to have one day...he's coming in for the fabtech show that starts sunday. Next year though, it's awn!!!

8. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

i never really inquired at this joint in elgin, but they have a farm of phesants, if you want to check them out, theyre in elgin off of rt25 just north of I90 called Max McGraw farms or someting like that (or they might be treehugers too /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif )

ring ring....
    hello..
    hi my name is bryan, this dude told me you raise phesents, can i shoot them?...
    click.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

WERN VALLEY

This is a sportmens club right near my house. My friend's Dad is one of the main guys there. I haven't done pheasants there, but I have done the sporting clays - excellent course. It's a very highly acclaimed place, and thus has very high membership fees. However, I'm pretty sure the general public can do pheasant hunting on weekends. (But, like you said, it's $$$...something like $20 a bird). I'm really not positive on all the details, but give them a call if you want to head up north (about 30 minutes West of Milwaukee).

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Allright! You da man!

I've got a half day hunt at Wern Valley for $190 plus tip, which is 1/3 the cost of what I was looking at at Richmond Hunt Club near Lake Geneva. We got 8 birds, a guide, and a dog, can get our birds cleaned for an additional $3 each, and smoked for another $3 each. Might be the way to go fo sho! I was plannning on smoking them at the house afterward, but i've never done phesant, and it'd be a damn shame to [darn] them up ya know? This is somewhat of a dream to me, to go pheasant hunting...should be a good time.

I'm going at lunch to start the background checks on buying an 870 wingmaster for my dad...it'll be his christmas present.

Thanks guys!

Bryan

11. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, I'm glad I could help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Have a good time.

You'll be about 15 minutes away from my house...it's a bummer we won't be able to meet up, but I will only be home for Saturday night and I'm leaving again early Sunday morning...not to mention you'll be with your Dad, so that probably wouldn't work anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

If you see John Klein, tell him his son's friend, Steve, referred you there. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

there is pheasant around here, a bunch, and sportsmans is within a mile of my front door here.

i dont hunt, but have been known to pick off rabbits around here though for stew during winter time, in which is coming up here pretty quick, first snow will be beginning of picking off rabbit season for me, but i gotta locate a rifle or something again though first, hmm. we used to have a few .22 rifles, hmm..

13. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

In case you're interested in another place in the future, there is one close to me called Pinewood Hunting Club. I don't know what all they offer or how much they charge. Would be about 1-1/2 hours' drive from Chicago. The phone # is 815-435-2314.