Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Phoenix area sources and info.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadDog, Nov 12, 2001.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Ok, I lived in Phoenix for about 2 years, left for several years, and I've been back for about 1.5 years. I have managed to get what I need but I have no illusions that I know the cool "in crowd" places to get stuff like I did in N. AL. Where possible I would like local sources to avoid shipping (and the hassles often associated). So, those of you who do know your way around here, I would appreciate a few pointers. I also threw in everything that I could think of that I (think I) have learned. If I'm not corrected, maybe it will help others new to the area.

*** Things I (think I) have learned:

1) The junk yards up around Deer Valley are generally cheaper and friendlier than the ones down south.

2) Desert Fox seems to be a decent 4WD source of info and stuff although I've found they are not always the cheapest.

*edited* - I originally had "Toys by Troy" and "Toybox" mixed up /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

3) I recently learned about "Toys by Troy" which seems to be a good source for high end (high dollar) toys and mods. I've never been there and this is just what I *think* I understand.

4) Stay away from Fly-n-High and ORU unless you have no other choice, something on sale/promotional, etc. Both seem to cater to rich kids and mall runners with lots of cash for flashy do-dads.

5) I seem to have found a decent muffler place that will work with you on odd stuff for very reasonable prices. They have the silly name "Mighty Muffler" and are located near Cactus and Cave Creek Rd. This is just a preliminary impression since I have yet to do any significant business with them.

6) General stuff I get at AutoZone, Checker, or NAPA. Whichever has the brands I want the cheapest or most convenient.

*edited* - new
    7) Toybox seems to be a good source of stuff. Selection is a bit limited right now but I spoke with Damon and he seems to be a good guy. I'm buying a 64" cast hi-lift from him later this week.

*** Things I would like to know:

1) Any suggestions for improvements in this source list?

2) Where is the best place (locally) to this stuff I need soon. High-lift jack, Optima Batteries, Tubing, Exhaust work.

3) Any inside scoops for Off-Road equipment in general?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions you can (or are willing) to offer.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

For Optima Batteries try Costco.....and I'm in the East Valley so can't help ya with the rest.....

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

3. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    For the Hi lift jack...if you want it locally,try Desert Rat.I'm not too fond of the local off road shops in Phx.Most of my parts come "on-line" or swap/build.Wrecking yards are awesome though in my opinion!I would try and get a 60" Hi-Lift...48" is just too short!.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Desert Rat is a pretty good shop. They catter to rich kids and real wheelers too. They usually have pretty good prices, but only carry mainstream produst, nothing wierd. If you are looking for a hardcore shop then you want Four Wheelers Supply. They have a fab shop, sell new and some used parts too. They build alot of the custom rock buggies and such. Kinda expensive though. If you need a driveline place, I like Dick's Driveshaft. I got my exhaust done at the Midas or Meineke on Indian School and about 40th AVE. They did my true duals on my 85 which isn't 100% legal. Personally I only us Checker and Napa for parts. The AutoZone near my house is horrible, and nobody speaks english. If you need performance parts, The Checker at 7th Ave or St (don't remember) and Bethany Home will meet Jegs or Summits prices and you don't have to pay shipping. They actually have a performance section at that store. They are cheaper then the speed shops too.(Lopers)

Oh ya, Flyin Hi as a shop sucks, but they do have a bad a$$ fab shop called FST. They have great prices, and do really good work. They have fixed my frame, and my lower front shock mounts. Thats all I can remember right know.

Harley

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

5. BadDog

Yeah, 60" cast is what I'm looking for. By the time you pay shipping, I expect I can get one locally for about the same price.

Russ

6. BadDog

Oh, that reminds me, for local driveline work, I keep hearing good things about <a target="_blank" href=http://www.arizonadrivelines.com/>http://www.arizonadrivelines.com/</a>

The AutoZone near me is actually pretty decent. Sometimes it's like 4WPW, you gotta know what you want in case you get an idiot. Like any other parts house really. Good to know about the Checker that meets Summit prices, wonder if the others will? Hmmm...

BTW, I *HATE* Lopers (on Indian School) AND the shop beside them. Both have screwed me over.

Thanks for the info on the fab shop at FnH (and the other stuff too).

Russ

7. Hossbaby50

Four Wheelers Supply should have that. Get out the yellow pages and call the local shops and see who has the best price. Also, I forgot something. I don't know where you live, but I can recommend a mechanic to you. The shop is a family shop called Don Urton's. Its on 43rd. Ave, just north of Osborn, next door to Lopers. I have all my work (that I don't do) do there. I have know him for a long time, and he does quality work. If you go there ask for Jimmy and tell him Harley sent you. I doubt he will give you price break, but he might. Oh ya, he doesn't do tranny's, and he doesn't do foreign. American only.

8. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Not real sure on this one....but I think www.macromotive.com has the 60" for the same price as the 48".Also known as 4x4 Unlimited,they have a store in central/west Phx. I believe.

9. Hossbaby50

Ya, all Checkers should meet Summit prices, but the one on Bethany has an actual performance area, not just a shelf. They are the one's I've delt with and they have done me right. Just make sure you have a Summit book with you and you know what part #'s you need. They will order it, and you don't have to pay shipping.

P.S. I think the shop you talking about next to Lopers is the one on 9th street. This is not Don Urton's. FYI. Don's is next to the westside shop on 43rd Ave.

10. BadDog

Re: Phoenix area sources and info. *Correction*

I just spoke with Damon at "Toybox" today and realized I had gotten "Toys by Troy" mixed up with "Toybox". I gotta say, Damon seems like an upstanding guy and I look forward to meeting him later this week when I pick up the 64" cast Hi-Lift Jack I bought. Anyway, I just wanted to correct my earlier statement. Toybox has some really cool stuff and fair prices. The jack was cheaper than some of the sources on-line and I don't have to pay shipping! I'll be doing plenty of business with them in the future.

Russ

11. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

Glad to here you got taken care of ! ToyBox is a very good company IMHO

12. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

for fabrication/tube work, call Complete OffRoad @ 602-442-8888. Talk to Steve &amp; tell him Matt sent ya down. Just a one man shop, &amp; he does good work for some of the best prices in town.

My Ford has chevy parts! it's all good!

13. Hossbaby50

Where is his shop at?

14. FWP

FWP CRS

Thanks Russ. Missed you out on Raw Deal. Keep all the info you can coming. I've been to PHX like 10 times so far, and hardly know any of the cool places. What are the best yards for parts hunting? Are there any that will let you walk the yard to look for something?

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5</a>

15. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Just another piece of FYI...

The Checker on 19th Ave. and Bell also has a "dedicated" performance area. The guys there all speak English and they actually know what they're talking about...most of the time.

The learning curve is a toll road...ride with someone who has already paid!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/abshort1>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

16. BadDog

Hmm, sorry, I don't know of any *really* good ones yet.

There was only one down south that would let me out on the yard without a hassle. Another u-pullit with lots of trucks but most spoke no English, one or two that spoke a (very) little. They also had prices that weren't very good (IMHO) and they would not haggle at all. To make it worse, they charge 5 dollars a head (IIRC) just to walk out on the yard, even charged for my 14 year old son who was just along for the ride. And you gotta pay, if you ask them about specific parts they always say, "I don't know, you gotta go look", and most of their stuff is pretty stripped.

Up north seems to be better. Northern Auto just N. of Deer Valley Rd. right off 17 is great (attitude and prices) but there is not much for selection. There is another u-pullit right near by (22nd Ave?) that was pretty decent. Good selection and they let me on the yard without paying. Prices were ok and they even *gave* me some odd lines and brackets I needed without charging extra when I bought an unrelated part I had priced before pulling. I just showed them to him and said, "How much extra for this stuff". It wasn't much really, I would have dropped it at the door if he'd said more than $10 or so. But he actually said, "Ah, just take it..." [shock]

Sorry, wish I could remember more names.

Russ

17. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

Hoss, he's at 225 S. 35th Ave... about 1/2 mile south of Van Buren, it's on the same property as Driven Auto Parts, which is also a great source for parts for your trucks, he only deals with domestic 4x4s.

My Ford has chevy parts! it's all good!

18. Hossbaby50

Thanks. I am always lookin for good places to get parts from. He's only a couple miles from my house too. I only own domestic 4x4's, sounds like my kinda place. Thanks again.

Harley

19. BadDog

Ok, I'm ready to fire this puppy off and realized, all I need is a sufficient quantity of gas and a little luck. Then it dawns on me, I no longer own a Jerry can. [​IMG]

Rather than pick up a plastic can at Wal-Mart, I would rather have another old Military surplus can like I had before. Where, in the Phoenix area, is the best place to get Military Surplus in general, or a Military type Jerry Can in particular?

Russ

20. BadDog

Ok, here is another question to bring this back to the top (just in case other AZ/PHX guys might be able to make use of the info here).

Anyone know a good general purpose machine shop that would be willing to do small items for reasonable cost? I have a pitman arm that needs the tapered DLE hole opened up about 1/32 all the way around. I also have 4 spring/axle offset plates that need 7/8 square bottom counter bores dropped 1/4 into them.

Any suggestions?