Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Phoenix guys

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by johnnyclueless, Apr 4, 2005.

1. johnnyclueless

johnnyclueless Registered Member

I'm having trouble with my transfer case in my 78. Won't go into 4hi and pops out of 4low. Wanted to ask you guys (being that I'm not very mechanically savy) where I could go locally to get it looked at. I'm hoping its just the linkage but I really need to get it looked at considering I will be totally screwed if I get it stuck where I go fishing (nobody around for miles)

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Johnny,

First thing is to figg'r out which case is in your truck. It's either a full time NP203 or a part time NP205.

Next.... try to decifer if you got a shift linkage prob, or actually have trouble in the transfer case. If you got a 203, the shifters are known for being tempermental due to mud, old grease, and general gook clogging up the shifter. Also pay attention to floor board/shift lever interference.

If you got a 205, you most likely have a linkage problem, as the 205's are the tuffest case known to man and they rarely fail.

Marv

3. johnnyclueless

johnnyclueless Registered Member

Marv,

Thanks for the feedback - it's a NP205 so I'm 99% sure it would be the linkage because like you said they are pretty bulletproof from what I've read. Quick question - do you know anybody around town that can fix/replace the linkage on it and how much would I be looking at? Thanks