Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

phone lines dead during rains, DSL works though

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Oct 8, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok been havng this problem off and on where when its raining out the phone lines are dead, but DSL is working, but sometimes get disconnected, i checked the phone box outside and opened it up and its dry inside of it, so i dont know what the deal is, anyone got any ideas ? i have heard the problem from others around here locally

what could the problem be ?

thanks for anything

2. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

Most likely its someplace on the phone lines up on the poles. Most the time, where the lines have a connector/amp ,up in the air on the line, the boot will leak and that is why you phone goes down. What you can do is check the voltage on your phone when its out. Its hard to really say without being there to run tests.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

how do i check voltage ? or i mean is red hot or green hot or both of them ? how many volts is it supposed to be on them ? do i use ground post in the box for negative side of voltmeter ?
    what scale/setting do i use on the voltmeter ?

phone company will take forever i know, i woudl like to eliminate problme in the box, i re connected everything in the box a few days ago while it was still nice and dry out, the phone tone has never sonded so clear and strong as it has been sinc ei did that, but now totally dead with the rain,

DSL works but i get d/connected now and then though,

thanks

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

verizon says they are gonna charge 69 bucks to come check it out

thats bullcrap

who/where/how do i turn in complaint to about this ?

thanks

5. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

interesting!!! ur DSL rides the same pair from ur house to the pole...dsl comes from the pole, hits ur NID, the grey box on ur house, a new block is added on the customer side of that box, that pair goes into your home...the pair from the new block is cross connected to the pair going up to the phone pole...sounds like you may have a prob in ur house....you can open ur grey box and you should see the labeling on the blocks that tells what is going to what...place a toner on ur phone pair and go to ur RJ-11 jack on ur wall and see if ur pickin up the tone...humidity or something may be causing a prob... but if ur DSL is workin, it's not a prob from ur home to the pole...its in ur house somewhere..

6. semper-k-five

do you always have a prob w/ ur DSL disconnecting from time to time or only when it rains???

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes i know DSL runs same pair of wires as phone, everyone knows that, or i would think they know, anyone with a mechanical type of mind anyways, but thats all i know, i dont know how DSL sends in and out or how phone sends in or out, seems to be info that no one knows, all i know is that voltage is involved with phone signals, i know you get shocked when phone rings if youre touching one or both of the wires,
    beyond that i have no clue, i cant find out a damn thing anywhere or from anyone, it pisses me off, and so does this problem and the damn phone company, if i could afford a cell phone then id go for it and dump this pos land phone bullcrap that works when it wants to

yes its water causing the problem, thats the whole problem, and ther eis no problem with lines in the building, this only happens when its rainign out i have brand new lines from the box to phones and puter,

the box is only a two line box, we only have one active line, it is dead when its raining out, no tone atr the box or anywhere beyond the box, IE inside the building, the problem is at the pole or before,

humidity is always 70% or more all year round cept maybe in dead winter, its always usually wet here, raining or ice or snow or something at all times normally,

we have alot of rust and corrosion issues here, thats why i redid the connections in the box recently, but still have the exact same problem with rain and loss of phone connection

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    do you always have a prob w/ ur DSL disconnecting from time to time or only when it rains???

[/ QUOTE ]

just when raining

thanks

9. semper-k-five

well hell...i can't see how they can charge ya then...the right side of that box up to the pole is all utility responsibility...they should only charge if the mess w/ the left side going into the building....

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    well hell...i can't see how they can charge ya then...the right side of that box up to the pole is all utility responsibility...they should only charge if the mess w/ the left side going into the building....

[/ QUOTE ]

you tell me

cuz i have no idea,

yet another reason on top of a billion more that i want away from this craphole of a town and state

[censored] this place
    im sick of it here
    no jobs, no older vehicles, no nothing,
    always some stupid bullcrap going wrong here, at any given time

ill find my way to the south or southwest some day, somehow, cant freaking wait,

thanks

11. semper-k-five

how it works:

A phone line is a 56k line...when you talk on the phone, no matter how loud you yell, the phone only uses 4k of that....DSL is a algorithm that compresses the DSL bandwith, 300 to 1.45 into the remaining unused 52k...that's what the DSL modem does for ya...

i'd hit both the better business bureu and the FCC