Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Photo gallery (please resize your pics)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CK5, May 30, 2002.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Sorry guys, but I have to close the photo gallery ASAP, the bandwidth is costing me hundreds per month. I will do something else to replace later, sorry for the short notice.

2. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

Re: Photo gallery is closing

why not open a few anglefire sites for the pics... you get like 50 meg per (FREE) account.. just link to that from the k-5 home page.....

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Man that is sad to hear. That was one of the prime reasons I had a membership ;-( I'll still keep the membership, but it's sad.

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/frown.gif

5. CK5

I will be opening another one, I hope anyway, that I can limit the pics to say 5 or so, problem is most people had 100 or so pics at 1 meg a piece, I just don't have the revenue to support that many pics. Lots of free pic posting sites out there that can be used for now. I have new software that I want to get that will be part of the forums, so if you are a member you automaticly get a small gallery, prolly be about four weeks, but last months bill and this months projected was more than I could handle.

6. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Steve, couldn't you try just telling everyone to limit themselves to 5 pics? I am sure that everyone wouldn't mind limiting themselves, as long as they know the limits /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

7. CK5

Most people don't even know how to resize pics, this is just for a few weeks until I can reconfigure some things.
    I also have to make up for the expense of last month.

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I wish.. I would have known. I wanted to save a couple. Oh well!

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

no problem www.webshots.com is free /forums/images/icons/smile.gif so how do we get a pic to you to be in the running for blazer of the month? i know you were getting them from the members rides area /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Do the avatars take up any bandwidth?

11. CK5

I still have the pics so no problem, avatars are fine, should be back up for July 1st I would think.

12. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Uhh, wow that was fast. That realy sucks, I put a whole lot of time into those pics and that gallery. That was one of the main reasons I paid for my memberships a matter of fact that was THE main reason I paid for my membership. I understand Steve that you had to do what you had to do, but I would have liked at least 1 day to pull them down and save them with the captions I had.
    I am very disappointed in this. I know that allot of other websites like the Pirate board seem to have a whole lot more features and they seem to be getting along. BUT, what do I know, truly not much about the situation. Like I said just that I am really upset. Oh well.

13. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I just read Steves new post about having the pics. Do you think you could send them to me at my home email ADDY. You can zip them if nedded. NASH

14. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,

I remember when Steve set up the new gallery.I'll paraphrase..."you can post pic's there,just don't go crazy with it!"
    I limited my pic's to 4 at first.Then I saw everyone else with thier "Albums" which had anywhere from 4-20 pic's in each album.I then started to make "albums"I now have 6 or 7 albums,each with 6-12 pic's in each.I'd say that meet's the "Crazy" criteraia!
    Sorry Steve.

15. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Steve, is it the number of pics that is the problem, or is it the number of times the pics are viewed that is the problem?

16. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I am kind of with DBlazer. I would have liked to got some notice on the gallery closing. I am sure Steve new it was coming. I am not trying to be rude, but that service was part of the membership and I put a lot of work into my gallery. This site also probably received a bunch of hits because I always had a link to my gallery and COK5 on emails I sent out and other web pages.

17. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Could you zip my pics and email them to me as well? Or can I FTP them from you? I know I had probably around 50 pics but I don't think they were more then 100k a piece... at least I think I resized most of them....

18. CK5

Tell ya what, you have through the weekend to clear it out, I would like to see no more than 10 small pics per member in ONE directory. I will be going to new software where I can limit the size and number of pics so this does not happen, the reason I turned it off was more of a rolling blackout to save on bandwidth just like the power companies do.
    It is costing me hundreds of dollars every month this goes on, I might set up the new softare so you have the option of buying extra space but I haven't decided yet.

19. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I own a business and that is what this board most be too. If the board does not make money then it can't survive. I understand that BUT

The old snake analogy has served me well. As you cut more and more of your tail off... You'll eventually get to the headand once you loose your head you'll have no where to go. I have tried many things at our business to "save" money, but you have to watch where you do it. I just think that you might have cut off the head of the snake before you started at the tail. I do not know anything about the "business" of running this page, but I do know that the only "benefit" I recieved from becoming a member was the photo gallery. I was posting in the forums all day long for free before that. I have never got any discounts from any of the dealers and had never planned to when I got my membership. I would just be carefull because after thinking over the photo album last night and searching for copies of those pictures. I feel that I have been a bit short changed on my membership now since that was part of the package deal. I just think there will be alot more people like myself and DBlazer that feel this way.

20. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Can someone post a link to a free web pic sight web shot? Or some thing like that thanks