Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

phuckin sm465 shifter jam, damn!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Dec 29, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

what the *&^#@!&^%$#@!&^%$#@! causes an otherwise great working sm465 to freaking have shifter jam just out of the blue for no reason at all?!?!?!?!

i just had this happen to me for the second time now as i was starting up to leave from stepdads garage driveway,, but the last time this happened i managed to un-jam it by forcing it, but this time i had to freaking remove the shifter from the top of the tranny and then put it back in place again and it seems good now, but how long until it freaking does it again, and why ?!?!?!

does this happen to anyone else ? i love 465 tranies but damn!

thanks for anything

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Never had that happen to me before???
    maby the bind is now fixed after you R&R the shifter???
    Goods lUck

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah so far so good, also i did notice that the spring loaded sheetmetal round dome retainer deal(with the two roll pin cuts in it on the two sides of it) that you turn counterclockwise in order to unlock the shifter handfle from top of tranny was turned a bit already conterclockwise some, so hmm, maybe it left the shift handle up a little high and cause jam maybe, dunno ??

hum..

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The 465 in my old '77 Blazer used to do that sometimes. But it was usually when I was speed shifting it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The tip of the shifter would get jammed in between the 2 shifter blocks in the tranny. I got pretty good doing roadside fixes on it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Speed shifting on a 465? Isn't that an oxymoron?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes oxymoron for sure, they are not very fast of a shifting tranny, i baby mine and i dont evne let the engine lug in low forward range, i am picky about that, so ther eis no reason why it should be jammming on me that i can see, it jammed on me after just hopping back into truck and starting her up and i had her parked in first and when i went ot get out of first to go to reverse and back out of drive thats when it jammed, befor ei even got over to reverse

crazy,,,,
    but so far so go, im about to take her out again for another cruise and see. but has been great so far still. im gonna have 100 miles or so on her tonight alone at this rate,

thanks

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    The 465 in my old '77 Blazer used to do that sometimes. But it was usually when I was speed shifting it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The tip of the shifter would get jammed in between the 2 shifter blocks in the tranny. I got pretty good doing roadside fixes on it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

what did you have to do to unjam it ? same thing every time, or ?

thanks

8. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    Speed shifting on a 465? Isn't that an oxymoron??

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, but I got pretty good at it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'll bet the synchros in that thing were hammered! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. HarryH3

I'd have to yank out the shifter, then put the tranny back into neutral using a LONG screwdriver. Then the shifter would pop right back in place.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd guess the nub at the bottom of the shifter is worn...

Rene

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

nub looks BRAND new, not rounded, not anything, its squareed off nice edges on corners,

so humm..

thanks

12. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

This is the reason I'm replacing the SM465 in my Suburban right now... every once in a while, it would jam in 3rd gear. No matter how hard you would try and force it back out, it wouldn't move until it wanted to (and usually it would just randomly decide to shift back out of 3rd as light as a feather).

My friend's 465 in his Suburban would do something similar... jamming in nuetral and not letting him put it in any gears... then one final time it jammed in low gear, and we had to pull the top off to fix it. (we replaced the whole top with the shifter forks for another one, and it's been fine since).

Currently, my brothers truck is also jammed in low gear after he let a friend borrow it.

To my understanding, the whatever coating on the ends of those shifter forks wear down, and sometimes... when everything is just right, it will jam so that the forks wont freely move back out again.

When I fix my brothers truck, I'm going to just replace the whole top with the shifter forks, just so it wont happen again.

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

coating ? what kind of coating is this ? please elaborate ? you saying that the fork ends might be worn down ? so the fix could simply be new forks, ? or ? thats what it is sounding like to me

thanks

14. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Mine does this when the pins work their way out...

15. mountainexplorer

I'm no expert... but theres like a teflon type of coating on the ends of the forks that I would assume was intended to make the forks slide the gears back and forth more smoothly. I've had perfectly good working 465s that Ive taken the top off and the coating was peeling or cracked/worn. I think its just when things (forks) wear just right on some trannies over the years of shifting, there is a tendancy for there to develop one "spot" or area where the forks slide into and jam.

If I'm not making sense, its probably cause I usually never do. Someone on here must have a better way of explaining this... if what I'm saying is even valid.

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Mine does this when the pins work their way out...

[/ QUOTE ]

which pins and where at in tranny ?

thanks

17. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm no expert... but theres like a teflon type of coating on the ends of the forks that I would assume was intended to make the forks slide the gears back and forth more smoothly. I've had perfectly good working 465s that Ive taken the top off and the coating was peeling or cracked/worn. I think its just when things (forks) wear just right on some trannies over the years of shifting, there is a tendancy for there to develop one "spot" or area where the forks slide into and jam.

If I'm not making sense, its probably cause I usually never do. Someone on here must have a better way of explaining this... if what I'm saying is even valid.

[/ QUOTE ]

no i understasnd what you mean and everything, i jusdt didnt know that there was any coating at all on the fork ends, i assumed that gear oil was enough of a lube to do the job, but i guess not ?

humm..

where might we be able to get new 465 forks, or have them coated ?

thanks

18. mountainexplorer

Well, like with my friend's Suburban...we just took another used SM465 top piece with the forks, which looked in no better condition, and bolted it to his tranny. Even though that teflon/whatever wasn't in perfect shape with the replacement, it wasnt wore in the same spots (I'm assuming here) so it never did bind up or stick again. Hasn't given problems since... 2 years later.

19. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

very interesting, hum,..

so the forks come off with the top ?
    its been a long time since ive takern apart a 465, im trying to think of where another one may be that i could have parts from, i scrapped the last one i had. humm,m,

thanks

20. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How about the end of the shifter being excessively loose? I know that is an "improvement" some have made, tightening that up by welding, perhaps if it's loose enough, the tip catches on the side of one of the blocks, and when you push the handle forward, it jams it inbetween?

On the coating on the forks, I assumed it was nylon since it appears to be dipped.

I've been wondering about this, don't the 208's use teflon or nylon shift pads that people replace? I've never seen them, but could these be made to work with the 465? As long as the pads themselves are big enough, I think just about anything could be retrofitted to those forks. (probably with a roll pin)

I know the T56's use nylon or teflon inserts, but a friend told me they are too small for our application. If anyone knows of another tranny application that used pads perhaps big enough for the 465, I'm all ears. I have a 465 with worn off shifter coating in pieces, in my garage, that I can play with.