Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Phx machine shop

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by fatbob, Jun 11, 2004.

1. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I bit the bullet today and ordered thesteering arms from Sky. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Now where is a machine shop in Phoenix that has done this before? After reading Harly's incident with studs shearing, I know I need the top milled flat. I will bring in the steering arm with the knuckle so it can be drilled correctly, but I have read that sometimes there is a CLOSE fit with the ball joint. So I want to find a place that has done this before.
    Any recomendations? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    Thanks
    Bob

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If you can't find a local, both ORD and I know how to do this /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Are you looking to go with the 5/8" upgrade? Or use 9/16"? I am still going to use the 9/16" setup for now. I got the stronger bolts (grade 9, 180Ksi) and I applied alot more torque to the bolts to apply more clamp load on the steering arm.

I think my main problem was the fact that I only used stock or a little above stock torque specs for the studs.

I was not aware before my problem that the shear strength of the bolt is not the main issue, it is the clamp load on the steering arm. Stronger bolts allow you to use more torque and therefore more clamp load.

From what I understand once the clamp load on the steering arm is exceeded the arm will slip and shear the studs. The studs strength is much less then the clamp load so they will break once you exceed the clamp load.

When you install your steering arm make sure the top of the knuckle and the knuckle surface are completely clean, no paint, grease, etc. Metal to metal.

Rob has used bolts in his steering arms for years without problem, but he said he uses the impact to torque the bolts very heavily. I installed my Grade 9 bolts and used the torque wrench to torque to 180 ft/lbs. That is double the stock torque spec. I didn't want to use much more torque as I am not sure how much torque the knucle will take before it would strip. Sofar so good. I personally think I will be fine now with the grade 9 bolts and the high torque.

My 9/16" Grade 9 bolts are stronger then 5/8" Grade 5 bolts and not to far behind Grade 8. They should be stronger then 5/8" studs.

Harley

4. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I ordered the install kit from Sky and I think it is 9/16.
    What I learn from your problem is the importance of having two flat surfaces clamped tightly together. Prior to this I had thought the shear strenght of the studs was most important /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif. But fortunately [UNfortunately for you]
    you posted the thread about your problem, and it brought all this to everyones attention. Thats for starting that post.
    But where did you get your knuckle done? Didn't you say
    one of the laveen guy's Dad did that kind of stuff. Or do they just privately,[like not at a place open to the public?]
    Thanks
    Bob

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My knuckle was machined at ORD for its previous owner. Andrew (77chevyK10) and Eli (Wiesel) have machined knuckles for themselves from what I understand. They might do it for you but you have to deal with them. That is there call. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Moose knows a guy local that does the machine work for a good price I think. You might contact him and find out.

I personally think 9/16" with grade 8 or 9 BOLTS should work fine as long as they are torques heavily and properly. Then retorqued once in awhile. Rob is running a heavy K5 on grade 8 bolts with lots of torque on the tough trails.

Part of my problem was the torque used and the studs that was kinda weak. I believe that the studs are around grade 5 strength maybe a little better. It is in my D44 post somewhere or in my D44 post in the ORD forum somewhere.

Harley

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Bill @ Az Kickin' will do it...

Marv

7. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Moose's friend did mine and a very reasonable price. Shoot him a pm and see if that's still an option.

Mike