Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*PIC ADDED 10/10/05* Need Opinions, How far should I move my rear axle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigCountryx, Oct 7, 2005.

1. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

Next week I'm installing a DIY Flip w/ 6" shackles (5" of lift) and 4" lift TC EZ 56ers. I'm gonna use a 0Rate to relocate the axle. Yes I know that's a lot of lift by most standards around here (~10"), but I have researched a lot and have a gameplan. My qusetion is will I need to move my axle farther back than the usual 1.5" due to the lift springs and longer shackles. I was thinking about running the springs backwards and using the 0rate to move the axle forward 1.5". That should yeild about 2.5" offset to the rear. What have you guys w/ flips done and what do you think I should do. Will moving the axle this extra bit cause much clearance issues (fenders/ gas tank)? I have to mock this up sun/mon to get the driveline measurements to Jess, so opinions are welcome.

****EDIT****
    This is with the 56ers in frontwards and the 0rate set at 1.5" back. Looks to me like I should flip the springs end for end and get 1" more of rearward movement.
    [​IMG]

In this pics, full weight is on the springs and the front axle is supported by jackstands to level it out some. I tilted the camera some so that the pic would be level with the truck. Please give opinions as I am calling Jess w/ measurements in the morning.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  2. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

you say you might flip the springs...doing that AFTER the flip would push the axle back 2.5" or so from stock. Once you add in the zero rate at 1.5" offset, thats only an inch from stock. With the way my flip and zero rate are done, my axles about 1/2" further back from stock and i kinda like it that way. Once i do my 63 swap and all i plan on having the axle back about 3" from stock...but i also plan on cutting a good portion of my rear fender off. What size tire do you plan on running and do you plan on doing any wheeling? Im gonna be runnin either a 39.5 or 42 and will have a total of about 7" susp lift and cut fenders. Personally i like having the axle back more...better departure angle and since you can use a longer d-shaft, it will lower angles some. Just some more stuff to think about.

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

From my understanding swapping from stock 52's to "backwards" 56's will move the rear axle back 4", as stated in the original post.............where do you get the 2.5" measurement and what's the deal with the comment about it making a difference "after" installing the flip?

4. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

SFs push the axle up, hence the need for teh offset zero rate. Flips with stock shackles will move up the axle about an inch. WIth a longer shackle, it will move it up even more, which is why im guessin it would push it up almost 1.5 inches. If you add 56s that are switched around, you are pushing the axle back 4" from where it currently is, which would already be up about 1.5", so that would only offset it about 2.5 from STOCK.

5. BigCountryx

Exactly what I was calculating. I'm wondering if that 1" father back would make a big difference in clearance when the suspension is compressed. Got any profile pics showing your rear axle location?

I don't mind trimming some, but don't want to cut gobs of fender off either. This is a DD that I'm trying to fit these little ole shoes on :D

[​IMG]

6. BigCountryx

bump ttt

I've heard people say that you have issues with your gas tank if you move the rear axle too much on a K5. Will moving the axle back 2.5" after a shackle flip cause this interfearance or will I be OK?

7. BigCountryx

^^^Edited first post^^^

8. big4x4ride

big4x4ride 1/2 ton status

56's and flip with teh axle back 4" is fine on a k5 i never had a prob

9. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

so u think you'll be able to squeeze it out of the garage :haha:

its lookin good

10. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I don't think you will have to work about your rear diff hitting your gas tank with 10" of lift. The only time it would hit would be if you were to jump(fully compress the suspension upon landing) with out bump stops.

Just a thought :D

11. BigCountryx

Yeah, after getting it installed, I'm kinda realizing that :whistle:

12. BigCountryx

with a couple inches to spare :blush:

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

All the vehicles I have seen with a SF, including my own, have really no noticable movement of the axle towards the front of the fender. When stock the rear leaf spring mount is above the forward mount.......after the SF the rear mount is below the forward mount and therefore basically cancel each other out. If the front and rear spring mounts were completely level with each other when stock then a SF would tend to move the axle forward more. If you look at ORD's board I'm pretty sure you will find where Stephen says the axle movement is neglible also.

The picture in the first post looks like an axle that was in the stock position and then moved back 1.5" with the zero-rate (axle location appears noticably towards the rear) IMO. If the SF pushed the axle forward 1.5" then it would look more centered or even slightly forward as most stock K5's appear.

14. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

bigcountry, what size iroks are those? 39.5s?

15. BigCountryx

yup
    [​IMG]

16. BigCountryx

Flame away. I know it's much higher than most on here care for (higher than I expected also) But I don't have any rocks to crawl, only some big ole mud pits.
    [​IMG]
    And yes, it fits in the garage.
    [​IMG]

17. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

I like it. Maybe when the iroks wear down.. go with some 42's or 44's.. Its way clean lookin..

18. BigCountryx

42's or 44's and 5.13's for sure.

19. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i jus got my 5.13s installed in my 3/4ton axles. ur truck looks sweet. ive got about the same amount of lift now, and will be pickin up some 39.5 tsls soon.

20. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Lookin good! :thumb: