Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*PIC* Finally got a tow rig...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Tim and RJ's post about new Dodge Transmissions...

I know its not a Chev, but my heart has a soft spot for 70's Ford's... I love em' I just picked up this truck last night...1976 F250 Hi-Boy 4x4 w/ 390 / 4spd / divorced 205 / low pinion D44 / D60 / 4.10's... all for $400 bucks. The motor is no good, but I have a good 390 in my other 2wd F250 that I don't have a title for, so I am gonna swap engines and have a good tow rig for under 5 bills:grin: :grin: :grin: . Go ahead and flame me for getting a Ford:grin: :grin: Nobody can pass up a deal like that!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  2. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

flame flame flame :haha: j/k it's yer personal choice. thats what makes us all individuals. Whereas I will never own a ford I support your decision to. :)

3. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

good score!:pimp: i have always liked that bodystyle of the fords. the profile looks alot like the 1st gen gm's.

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The drivetrain on that truck is just great and will last along time if taken care of . I really like the old "FE" engines - I'll bet that 390 will show some real grunt as a tow rig engine.

CONGRATULATIONS ! Tom

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I'm diggin the big Spicer hubs on it. :pimp:

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

That's a damn nice truck! Especially for that price! I am not prejudice, I think that almost all auto makers had some good vehicles, and the High Boy is certainly one of them. Of course, there is a soft spot in my heart for divorced t-cases, especially from a manufacturer who had the balls to put one in from the factory.

7. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Don't feel bad. I'm a Chevy guy too ('90 K5) but my wife's grandfather left us a '67 F100. It's really nothing special but it's in excellent condition and really is a fun little truck. I wish it were 4wd, but hey it was free.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Good Score!

I'm a GM man too--but if the price is right,and I needed a truck--brand loyalty would take a back seat to my bank account!--I have nothing against older ford trucks,but the newer ones I've seen have LOTS of problems in a short time--many of the 10 year old ones I see are heavily rusted,almost to the point where they are unsafe to drive,and they seem to break down more often and the parts cost more than their competitors(and seem harder to get the "right one" for,since ford always has several versions of parts on the same trucks..) But I admit GM's newer style trucks arent as good as the "oldies" either...

Those old "Hi Boy" trucks bring good money here in rust land--if you have a nice one you can get 2500-4000 bucks for it around here!--they are pretty rugged trucks,if I had a chance to get one in decent shape for what you paid,I'd jump on it,I'd throw my flatbed and crane on it and go scrapping again!.:crazy:

9. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Trust me, I don't feel bad at all... I have owned between 10 and 15 older Fords... and I am not concerned about brand loyalty... I currently have my 79 Jimmy, 76 F250, 70 F250, 71 Bronco, 98 Chev Cavalier, 03 Kia Sodona, and a 71 Dodge Motorhome... and there are only 2 drivers in my house!!

10. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

"03 Kia Sodona"

HOMO :whistle:

GOOD WORK on that ford, nice ride. Im with pooh, i dont have a brand loyaltie either. If the price is right, ill drive anything. My DD is a 86 Izuzu pup. I hate it, but with 215,000 miles it gets me around just fine.

11. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Nothing wrong with getting a Ford, it looks like a nice truck and a great price. The only thing is, you are gonna get Razzed for towing your Chevy with a Ford:D

12. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

nice score man:thumb: :saweet:

13. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I don't look any more HOMO in the minivan than you do in the brown Eclipse...:grin:

14. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

There are some cool guys at the raceways that I know that tow their track camaro's and firebirds with a Ford....

But then I always use a Chevy to tow the Mustang... we always give each other dirty looks for a little bit, all in good fun though. :xmas:

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

16. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

17. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

cool man the 70s fors are the only ones i like the look of for 400 bucks thats a steal.

i saw a nice 70s crew cab long box 4x4 ford a while back. the only one i have ever seen it was a good lookin truck all black.

18. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Yeah, plans for this in the future are either to fix it up and sell it and buy a old Ford super cab or Crew Cab, or just get all the running gear on this one dialed in and then put a Super Cab on it w/ a short bed.

19. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Hey it could be worse think Subaru Brat. I like that style ford too, especially if it is free.

20. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Those are great trucks, congrats!