Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

**pic of iPod installed** How can I lock my storage compartment?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Craig Artzner, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

**pics added 1/20/07**
    **stereo installed 2/3/07**
    **iPod installed 2/14/07**

Does anyone know of an easy way to convert either my center console compartment or glove box on my '73 Blazer so that I can lock them when I park my truck somewhere with the top off? I will be mounting my cd/mp3 player in the center console in order to keep the truck looking original (leaving the am radio in the dash) but I would like to find a way to lock it. I would also like to put some kind of a lock on the glove box. Any ideas except bolting on a hasp and using a padlock would be appreciated. I want whatever I use to be barely noticable.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

How about a Tuffy locking box , or homemade wooden box with carpet . This way you can save modifying your console , yet install it when you want it to go back to original .

3. Craig Artzner

The tuffy box would be good idea except that I NEED to modify at least my center console to lock since that's where the stereo is...

4. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

5. Craig Artzner

Ok I see what you guys are saying, the Tuffy box fits in the spot where the factory box would be removed. I'm actually wanting to keep my factory console because my '73 interior is an all-original time capsule (see my photo album). I don't want to remove it, I love the look. And since my stereo will be wired throughout it I won't be able to just swap consoles at will. I wonder if I can just get the locking mechanism from the Tuffy box and install it on my factory console...hmmm

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

For the glove box, you can replace the knob with one lockable from later years, easy swap.
    For the console, I will look at mine and see, I am sure there is a way, although it being plastic no matter what you use it'll be just a deterant for easy steeling.
    Someone that knows what is in there will easily break whatever you have and get it.
    I will let you know of thoughts maybe by the end of the day.

7. Craig Artzner

Yeah I'm not expecting bulletproof security here with my center console, This is a pleasure vehicle that I don't plan to leave parked unattended too often. Just a good solid deterrent is all I'm looking for.

8. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

How about a car alarm with a motion sensor for inside the vehicle (like the ones designed for convertibles)?

9. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

The glove box and the center console have the same locks on them. You just need to buy new, or find used, glove boxes that are lockable:D Any Locksmith can change the locks to fit your keys.

The Tuffy is nice but $$$$.

I actually looked at some small safes that would fit between the seats but I decided they wouldn't be practical:haha::haha:

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I checked and like BKinzey said they are both the same, I have lockable ones in my 80 crew cab, it's easy o swap them in.
    :D

11. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I know enough to be dangerous so second opinions are fine by me:o:D

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I had promised to check so i just want to say I did, I wasn't questionning your response. :rolleyes: :D

13. Craig Artzner

Cool. Thanks for the response guys. I have a pretty good idea on what to do now.

14. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

the earlier models of k-5's center consoles didn't have locks on them I think it was in '80 that they canged the center console to add the lock. But the glove box is easy to change. You can get a stereo lock box that you can mount in your center console that you can just lock the door of it inside the center console and leave the rest of the console stock. I would look into an alarm. but I would go with a radar detector. It will catch people befor the move the truck. with a stiff suspention you can climb in without setting off the alarm if you just have the motion, but radar picks up movement in an area... I like two way alarm systems. If your in range you will know if it goes off...

15. Craig Artzner

I got the mount made for the head unit

I just did this today, I cut out a piece of wood and mounted it against one of the angled ridges that run up each side of the console.

Then I cut a hole out for the head unit and braced it with angle brackets. I know it looks ugly now but it works and it's really solid. I used bolts and nuts not screws for the mount since I used particle board. I plan to either paint the whole apparatus the same color as the interior (saddle). Or get some speaker box carpet and upholster it in that.

I know some of you are thinking "Why would he mount it that way, you can barely see the controls from the driver's seat." Well I plan to use my iPod as the primary control for my stereo, and it will be sitting up on the outside of the console (possibly where the ashtray is now). I just need the stereo to provide me with powered sound. I don't even anticipate using CDs that much at all.

That's my 13-year-old Aussie Shepherd Cinnamon in the first pic!

Give me feedback if you have any...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

the 73-79 console splits in half. i made a stainless steel locking box that went inside then put the console back together. you opened the lid then had to open a second locking lid. wish i still had it to show pics. but just for a radio you can made a box that just goes around the radio so the locking door covers the face and you will still have the console space. the door can fold down or be removable. it's a peice of cake.

17. Craig Artzner

Ok here's the mostly finished product. I got my new CD/mp3/WAV player installed. The only thing I have to do now is seal it a little better to keep water out in case I get stuck in rain. Hope that never happens...

[​IMG]

18. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Nice job!

19. Craig Artzner

Got the iPod installed...

Here are pictures of the iPod hookups, etc. I put in today...

Ashtray closed...
    [​IMG]

Ashtray open, iPod hookups...
    [​IMG]

iPod in it's mounted position...
    [​IMG]

Overview...
    [​IMG]

20. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice setup.