Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pic of my ram mounts - is there something wrong?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, Mar 4, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

The brass fitting that is right by the spring - it is RIGHT by the spring, close enough that I wonder if I did something wrong. When the spring compresses, it is not going to hit but I wonder about when I router the hydr. line to that fitting if the line is going to rub on the spring - does everyone else's look like that?
    The ram is mounted as far to the passenger's side as it will go. The piston of the ram is at 4" (it has an 8" stroke.) It looks to me like when I turn left, the mount will come close to hitting the knuckle, but will clear. I haven't cycled it yet.
    Just basically wanting someone to idiot-check me /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Ok, dumb question - am I supposed to use Teflon tape on the hydr lines?
    -- Mike

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Mine is pretty much the same way except taht the driver side fitting is angled kinda towards the the passenger door and runs right along side of the other line.

[​IMG]

Maybe you can see what I am talking about.

If it is still a problem, un bolt the rodends and turn them to "fine tune" the body of the ram. You maybe able to move the body of the ram over w/o changing the stroke.

Btw,,,,I used Teflon tape and even though the ram fittings arnet tight as a flys but they dont leak.

3. sidslc

sidslc Registered Member

flip it around and run the lines to the oppsite side

4. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

You can cut some of the threads off of the left side and even take the Jam nut out to shorten it up some.
    That's really too close to the springs. I would move it if i were doing the install.

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Here's a pic of mine. I welded the tabs on as far left(in the picture) as I could. Yours looks like you did the same. The fitting is pretty close, but I have had 0 problems with it. What ram are you running the 1.5" or larger? You could rotate the tie rod clamp down a little. From the picture it looks like its twisted up some...

[​IMG]

6. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

What kind for travle do i need to have and what size(s) does the thing have to be?

7. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

The ram is an 8" stroke which is perfect for the D60. I have the 1.5" diameter that gives you more speed and can keep up with turning the wheel quickly. The bigger ram will give you more turning power, but at the cost of steering wheel turning speed. Basically the bigger diameter of the ram, the slower it moves.

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I ended up cutting some the the ram threaded rod off and got a little more clearance between the spring and the fitting. I also angled that fitting a little more towards the passeneger's side, like DP_90K did in the pic above.

I have another question. I ran the lines today and they look pretty good, but in DP_90K's pic they look like they go up through the engine compartment and then over to the gear box. I tried that and didn't like how close it was to moving parts, so I routed mine around and zip tied them to the driver's side shock mount. Look pretty good to me, but does anyone have some pics of how they mounted theirs? I just want to get a general idea how others are doing it.
    -- Mike

9. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Mine actually go up to the oil pan. There is a spring connected to the tranny flexplate support rod that will let the hose drop, but maintains them out of the way. Then the hose run under the frame rail then up to the box. I think my hoses could be about a foot shorter to work perfectly. I also used some split heater hose around the hydraulic lines to protect against rubbing in areas of contact. You can see some of it in the picture.
    I will try to find some pics tonight, but I think they are probably ran similar to yours, except for the spring thingy.

10. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I found a couple pics:

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

11. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

When i do the K5's here in the shop i go straight together with the hoses and then forward and up and then curve back and towards the drivers frame rail. then around behind the bump stop and then split around the steering shaft and into the box. I normally zip tie the lines together about every 6-8" and then to the fram or crossmember where ever i can.