Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pic of the new Super Swamper IROK

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nvrenuf, Apr 15, 2003.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Looky..looky

[​IMG]

I don't know anything about the tire, I found this pic on another board and thought y'all would like to see it.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Cool looking tire, but it seems like it's directional more for the form than the function. I'd rather have a non-directional tire so I can rotate it to the other side of the truck... </font>

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd rather have a non-directional tire so I can rotate it to the other side of the truck...

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm not sure if this tire is a radial or bias design, but if it is a radial tire, you DON'T want to swap it to other side - directional tread or non.

It looks like an interesting tire. I'm not too crazy about the design, but I'm sure it functions well. Those are some pretty big voids though...probably really bad wear/mileage out of them. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Those are some pretty big voids though...

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet that dude is LOUD! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    but if it is a radial tire, you DON'T want to swap it to other side -

[/ QUOTE ]
    This was true about 30 years ago. However, I'm not aware of any tire manufacturer these days that still recommends that you never change the direction of rotation of their radial tires. Many early radials would self-destruct if you changed the direction of rotation on them, but they solved this problem long ago.

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I agree...I haven't heard manufacturers saying not to swap sides anymore, but I've read accounts of a few people on here (that swapped sides/directions of their radial tires) that the noise level was increased significantly and the ride was harsher/bumpier. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've read accounts of a few people on here (that swapped sides/directions of their radial tires) that the noise level was increased significantly and the ride was harsher/bumpier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most likely due to 'breaking in' the tire to run the opposite direction. This situation would be more pronounced if the tires have worn poorly (cupping, out of alignment, etc.). Tires that get rotated regularly and are wearing evenly will only produce this effect for a minimum amount of time/milage, if at all.

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I don't think the flying apart is a concern anymore. OTOH, I tried swapping my BFG M/Ts in the old bias pattern to even things out &amp; they got very loud. I also did it w/ the Michlens on my Jeep and while they were any lounder they did take a while to smooth out. Just my $.02

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    but if it is a radial tire, you DON'T want to swap it to other side -

[/ QUOTE ]
    This was true about 30 years ago. However, I'm not aware of any tire manufacturer these days that still recommends that you never change the direction of rotation of their radial tires. Many early radials would self-destruct if you changed the direction of rotation on them, but they solved this problem long ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> I've heard that you can swap side to side if you rotate regularly, but if you run a tire for too long in one direction then the belts end up set too hard to be able to be run in the other direction. I've actually tested this theory, but not on purpose. Around '94 I rotated a set of BFG T/As side to side after running in them in one direction for about 20k miles. After about 3k miles running in the other direction the tires were hosed, the tread was all deformed and lumpy on every tire. I usually rotate my tires every other oil change, so every 6k, and have never had a problem with that interval.

That being said, if you care about rotating your tires, then odds are you do it often enough that you won't ruin a modern radial. When I rotated the previously mentioned BFGs I was just bored and looking for something to do, so I rotated my tires.</font>

10. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Harry

I'm in agreement with what you have said; I've been doing the bias-style rotation for years on my car with no apparent loss in treadlife or uneven wear. However; in regard to what manufacturers say; here's a quote directly from Interco's website about tire mainteneance &amp; causes of wear......just found it interesting.

"It is recommended that tires used on four wheel drive vehicles be rotated front to rear and rear to front about every four to five thousand miles...don't criss-cross."

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I had the same problem with several BFG AT's in the '93-'94 timeframe, but they hadn't been rotated to reverse their rolling direction. After I asked the guys at Discount Tire what was going on, since they had warrantied out 3 of the 4 tires on my truck for separated belts, they warrantied all 4 BFG's towards a set of their Pathfinder AT's. Those never gave me a problem. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

12. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I like it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I'll have a set of their 39.5"x13"/15" IROK tires within a week. I'll be sure to post pics and any info I get. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Neil, do you have any other info on them? What sizes are going to be available?

They look like a blend of a TSL (center section) and a bogger (outer lugs)

Rene

15. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

36x13.50-15 I-801 in stock

36x13.50-16 coming soon

36x13.50-16.5 coming soon

36x13.50-17 coming soon

36x13.50-20 I-805 in stock

39.5x13.50-15 coming soon

21/49-17 coming soon

24/49-20 coming soon

16. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    21/49-17 coming soon

24/49-20 coming soon

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

17. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    24/49-20 coming soon

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve you have any specs on these tires ie. load range, overall dia., rim width and weight?

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

18. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I haven't seen any of these in the 4wheeler ads or anything? What are they running for $$?

19. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Interco said they will have excellent forward traction, much better lateral traction than a Bogger and should stick to rocks like glue. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Mine will be a Bias type.

They did not pull out any of their drag compounds for many reasons. We have talked at length about this subject. We've been chatting for a year about this tire.

This was the first time I got to see the tire in a pic - I've been begging Interco to email me a pic. Guess Matt had no choice but to release the photo - But I was told to keep this on the down low. Looks like its no longer a "secret". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It looks like they are on their way to designing the "Ultimate Tire".

You will notice the push to have the larger rim sizes. This is for reasons as Fox stated a while back. Less sidewall to damage. Look in the future to see the other lines have new rim sizes. Looks like the IROK will be a Full Line tire - meaning they will eventually make all of the popular tire/rim sizes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Looks like a competitor to BFG's new "Krawler". What are the $$$ on these in the 36x13.5x15 radial? I priced the comparable Krawler @ $237.50 per tire.

John