Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pic Request! SM465 / 205 Mounting!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

Anyone got a few pics of how a guy is suppost to bolt up an SM465/205 combo? I got a mount with it, and it would appear that the adapter sits on it. Is there anything to hold the t-case up, or does it just hang off the adapter?

Pics would be great!

Thanks!

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just happen to have one sitting in the floor waiting an install

100_4376.JPG

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

it just hangs off the back of the adaptor which is mounted to the crossmember.

4. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

yep...

i think its generally like that on most, hanging off the back of the adaptor.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Is that the new ultra high angle "Invisi-shaft" you're running there Dorian? ;)

Rene

7. Russell

LOL, mine is the other way around, high angle invisible rear shaft, lol

At least it is a step in the right direction :) Looks good guys, thanks for your help! I'm gonna have to see if I can make use of the old 2wd crossmember. I'm not sure if this new one is going to clear my exhaust or not... Hopefully I don't have any t-case to exhaust clearance issues either, it is right up against my frame rail, but seeing those pics makes me think that it may not be good enough...

We'll see when I bolt it all together I guess :)

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It's one of those no-angle drivelines. :)

The clearance on the passenger side for exhaust is pretty tight, but with parts you can buy at Napa, (you can see that's what is in my picture) and someone with a welder, you can cut out the interfering exhaust section and change the angles to make it clear. If the exhaust is mounted as solidly as it should be, you don't need much clearance between the case/frame and the exhaust.

If you look closely at how my crossmember is bolted to the frame, you can see that I had to use one of the forward unsupported bolt holes (with spacer) to mount it. With all the existing crossmember holes in the frame (both that I drilled, and factory) when I went to bolt this up the holes the newer crossmember uses were too close to the existing ones. You may have to consider this option as well. The frame to crossmember bolt spacing is entirely different on the flat crossmembers and either of the humped ones.

9. Russell

Well, I just went and tried it out -- I've got a LOT of exhaust work to do =/

Driver's side pipe hits the crossmember, passenger pipe clears the member, but will not clear the t-case :(

If my driver's side pipe was about 3" higher up, then it'd clear the driver's side. I've got one of those flat crossmembers like was posted of the setup sitting on the garage floor