Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PIC request spare tires/toolboxes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hunterguy86, Jun 1, 2006.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I'm running 35's on the blazer. I need ideas of a cheap way to mount my spare. One of those totally awesome rear bumper/spare tire mount combos is out of the budget.

Also how do yall have your spare parts and tool boxes stored/secured. I will be going wheeling on the 24th so I need to get this stuff taken care of.

Thanks in advance.

2. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

My tool box is next to my spare tire. Wraped to it with bungie cords...:haha: sorry not much help.

To mount your spare you could throw it on top and use ratchet straps to hold it down...it would be cheap.

3. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

I use a beastly Rawson-Koenig truck box from a friend's mid-90s Z71 in the back of the k5, behind the rear seat. It is the type of truck box that does not overhang and comes up to the same height as the tailgate/sides. Got it for free, fits lots of tools/fluids

4. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of fabricating a spare tire mount that uses the reciever hitch.

5. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

it takes some thinking but you can use the stock tire mount to hold a 35. i have a $10 tool box from walmart i throw in back and use seat belts bolted to the floor to hold it.

6. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Here's a lockbox that I've been working on the past few days, for tool storage and to secure my stuff when I go into town. I'm getting tired of my stuff getting stolen. I have to go buy handles and some locks and hardware. I also found some bolt on U bolts that I might install so things could be strapped to the top of it.

5-17 018.jpg

5-29 014.jpg

5-30 003.jpg

5-30 005.jpg

5-29 008.jpg

7. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

I'll get you a pic this evening but I mounted my 37" spare in the floor of the back and use a heavy duty cargo strap held down by two large eye bolts drilled through the floor. It sounds cruddy but it really does look better than it sounds and I don't have anything hanging off the back of my truck. Looks cleaner and is lighter than a carrier. Also it is inexpensive. You do sacrifice storage space, but I use those nice cargo nets over all of my gear when I wheel. Plus mine isn't a daily driver, so it doesn't have to be as easy. I have a diamond plate wheel well box for all of my tools and the left and when I wheel I put all of my extra fluids underneath the spare. I would like to mount a water jerry can on the right in place of the stock spare tire carrier. Does anyone know anything about those? Sorry to piggy back. I'll post pictures tonight after work.:D

8. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Hey no worries about piggy backing. I need ideas. I'm hoping I can get that 35 to fit the spare tire rack. If not I may use your tire on the floor idea.
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a large toolbox of some kind to store gear in. I have a 3 drawer snapon box that I use to carry my tools. I may bolt some eyebolts to the floor and a ratchet strap to hold it down. I got a few weeks to think about all this. I also gotta start getting all my spare parts and fluids together. Oh ya and the tow rig still aint got a tranny in it :doah: So much to do. Oh well thats half the fun.

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My spare is on the roof along with fluids in an ammo box. My tools are in the spare wheel well in the Burb in a large soft tool bag. I also have a spare on the floor sometimes - use a ratchet strap to hold it down.

10. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

Well I don't have a Blazer but here is a picture of how I got my burb set up . I have a 42" tsl spare and a small toolbox mounted on the fuel tank frame (tank is in the bed) and a med size military ammo box (40mm gernades style ) bolted to the bed in front of the fuel tank . I still have room for another box on top on the fuel tank and I'm going to build my own . Ammo boxes work great and are pretty much water proof and you can modify them to make them lockable . I still have room for a couple of 5 gal fuel jugs and I keep a 5 gallon bucket in back to hold 2 antifreeze jugs (1 antifreeze/1 clean water ) . I still need to weld tabs on the bar in back to hold my hylift jack and a shovel . For now the lay behind the back seat with my tool bags .

lockableammobox.JPG

burbbedstorage.JPG

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  11. littlejimmythatcould

I actually got it in the truck this week. Here are some before and after pics. Depending on where it ends up when I get my roll bar in, I should have room to lay a 38 inch tire on the floor behind it.

5-33 002.jpg

5-33 001.jpg

5-33 011.jpg

5-33 012.jpg

WyoSquareMan likes this.
  12. CarnivoreMan

CarnivoreMan Registered Member

Hey LittleJimmy, you ever get this thing wrapped up? Locks, eye bolts or anything on that box yet? What'd you do with the spare?

Sweet lookin box there in the pics. What'd the metal cost at what dimensions?

13. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Not to cut you down AT ALL but if you load that nice box up with stuff like tools, you'd better have some dam good axles to handle the extra weight.
    If it's only mild wheeling then you shouldn't need ever tool in your garage to go. If it's hard wheelin then like me you'll soon find out you can't make some of the obsticals because you have too much darn weight in the back.
    As for the spare, I carry a tube and some rubber for a patch to protect the tube if the tire is ripped. I think it weights about 2lbs.
    I pulled the tons of spare parts and the tool box out of mine because all it did is fix everyone elses trucks and make mine heavy.
    Here are some pictures of what it was like before.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/23360755rWHWgyiFRM
    look at the pictures at the bottom of page 1 & 2 (mounting your stuff).
    It might give you a couple ideas.

14. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You have an amp it that thing that weighs as much as my tool bag.:eek1: :bow: :haha:

15. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    OK, your right :D My bad.

16. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

But hell you could damn near fit all your ''gear" jerry cans,tools, fluids,spareparts,camping stuff, the works

17. littlejimmythatcould

here are the finished pics. Sorry about the delay in posting them I was really busy getting ready for my first wheeling trip. I was able to fit everything I wanted in the box (including 3 folding chairs for the ladies in case someone broke... I'm so considerate) Eventually I'll add some small U bolts to use as tie down points so I can keep my cooler and my spare in there. I have no compliants about the box at this point. All my buddies were giving my hell about it until they didn't have a chain or a hacksaw or wd 40.... then it was the box to the rescue :D . As far as the dimensions it's a 48x24x21 in tall box made from 1/8 in steel diamond plate it cost me about $240 to make. I shot on the hardware with 1/4 inch stainless steel rivets with a big 9X rivet gun. I sealed it up with some weather stripping from Lowes to help water proof it. I can't wait to get a roll cage/ bar put in so I can make an attachment point to hold the lid up while I'm digging around in it. And I placed it as far in between the axles as possible to distribute the weight as evenly as I could. I bet the box weighs about 250 to 300 lbs. But with the doors and tail gate off it evens out.
    Edit: I only had the box 3/4 of the way packed and was very happy with it especially since I know next time I could probably pack a few more "comfort items" for the wife.

7-23 001.jpg

7-23 002.jpg

7-23 003.jpg

7-23 004.jpg

18. TheSunDanceKid

TheSunDanceKid Registered Member

ah i have 2 spares one in the stock spot and also one bolted pretty much the same way to the floor in the cargo area works pretty well just make sure you look where your drilling underneath **** you could even use the stock hardware and bolt to the floor just buy a U bolt mount to the floor and use the stock bolt to hook on to it

19. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

here is how mine is set up, My box was bought...but you could build one no prob.
    gabe

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]