Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PIC Request - U-joint tack weld

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Apr 3, 2007.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

The Saginaw front CV on my rig is very loose on a couple of caps after the u-joints went away. I have new joints in and am looking to throw a couple of tack welds to secure the cap just in case. Could someone throw me a few pic's of appropriate tack welds? I'm a bit concerned about burn through/penetration into the cap and needles.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The welds will burn the grease and the joint will wear out VERY quickly. If the caps are spinning, its possible the tack won't even hold it.

Tack welding the caps is okay to do on axle shaft yokes (if they are in good shape) and even then only with selectable hubs or on a trail only vehicle.

You need to actually repair/replace your driveshaft.

3. Currank5

Currank5 1/2 ton status

You may need a new shaft. With new joints it shouldn't be loose. I tried the same thing as i repaced u-joints and i still had play. I tach welded the caps to the ring that holds em and the weld didnt hold up. I replaced the shaft with one i got outta the junk yard and with this one there's no play.

Welds holding that together should be only a temporary fix anyway.