Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pick a fluid, and find it under my truck.. K5 == down for the count :(

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jagged, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Allright, I've been playing a bit too hard in my truck, and have created some problems that I've been trying to figure out. I'm not gonna post these pics inline so 56k'ers can actually read this:

First thing, I know my rear diff sucked water through the breather, and now there's a bunch of spray of water/90W coming out of the breather... and some other liquid (dunno whether it's brake fluid or water/90W) on the axle/diff and gas tank. I thought I fixed my disappearing brakes the other day with new pads and wheel cylinders, but now I'm having the same problem again. Funny thing though, I have plent of pressure in reverse and stop just fine, just going forward it feels like there's a lot of air in the lines.

Breather Spray
    Axle+Diff Unkown Fluid
    Rear Rubber Brake Line and gas tank

Now moving forward underneath the truck, I have a lot of tranny fluid sprayed all over, can't really tell where it's coming from I'm afraid :(

Tranny fluid under body by tcase
    Something sprayed on frame rail
    Tcase leaking?
    Top Passenger Side of Tcase (metal line with tranny fluid on it)
    Top of passenger side of tranny (looking forward from tcase)
    Yep, it's tranny fluid
    Output from Tcase soaked in tranny fluid
    Yep, still tranny fluid
    Tranny fluid all over front driveshaft
    On the bellhousing cover too
    And the tranny pan
    Top of tranny
    Top of tranny

And to top it off... my fuel line is leaking too :mad:

Leaking fuel

If any of you have any comments or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it :)

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dang.....your truck is a bleeding mess..... :blush:

SInce you say oil is everywhere I would take it down to the car wash and completely power wash EVERYTHING so it's clean again. Then make sure there is enough oil in all of your reservoirs so they can leak. Drive around locally for a day or so at slower speeds, long highway speeds will splatter the oil all over everything from the high winds. That should give you a decent indication on where some of your leaks are coming from.

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Well, driving around for a bit... I saw tranny fluid dripping out of the aluminum bell housing cover, i think i may have a cracked torque converter or something now ::shrug::

4. Bunker Buster

Bunker Buster Registered Member

The first step will be to clean that mess up. Untill then, you'll never know exactly where the leaks are coming from. I'm sure they will all be simple fixes, but you have to have a clean slate to work with. :)

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

spent $5 at the car wash cleaning the underside, we'll see what happens

6. Wes Harden

Wes Harden Registered Member

leaks

1st thing ya do is get that water out of the diff (240.00 for bearing seals crush sleve and oil 14bff any way just did mine). Make w/ new gl 5 oil. then move your
    diff vent to a higher location on your truck. Even thou cool water hitting hot hubs creats a vaccum and will draw water into your hubs.
    Your trans may be as simple as a new pump seal and converter bushing. Have to drop inspection cover to see.
    Now the brakes is an odd one frim in reverse mush going forward. 1st thing to check since brakes have just been done are the shoes on right, shoe w/ long lining on rear and short lining up front. check all your rubber brake hoses, fronts to, for "balloning" or swelling. Have someone apply the brakes while you are holding each line, if you can feel the line swell more than say 1/32" it's bad replace it.
    Your master cylinder may be by passing, truck running hold a mild pressure on the pedal for a few minutes, if the pedal stays firm it's good if the pedal sinks then your master is by passing internaly replace it.
    I could come up w/ a few more things to check if all this checks out
    Good luck Let us know what ya find.
    Wes

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

On front and rear wheels, or just the front? I regularly inspect my front hubs for wear (pretty much about once a week or so), and so far they haven't sucked up anything substantial (that is, visible to me).

8. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Mine had fluid dripping from that spot on the bellhousing...it was the pump.

9. Wes Harden

Wes Harden Registered Member

Realy depends on how hot your running gear is, and how cold the water is. I used to wrench for a living near a big popular lake, peps would tow there boat 300 miles or more at 70+ whip on to the boat ramp and launch the floating money pit. I prob seviced 100 diffs a summer becuase of water being drawn in. but yes it can happen to the rears as well as fronts. :cool1:

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I've got a boatload of extra tranny's available to me at relatively no cost (read: free), would it be worth it to attempt a TH400 or a 4l80e swap instead of troubleshooting the 700r4?

Right now this is my driveline:
    87 K5 TBI 350 (decent cam), 700R4, 208, stock 10b's and gears, and 32x11.50's.

The tires won't be getting any bigger, nor will the truck be lifted for at least another 4-6 months or so, but eventually I'm aiming at 36-38's or so. I figure if this is a good time to do a tranny swap then I can forget the headache of fixing the 700R4. I've been keeping an eye out for a 205 tcase, but so far only found a furd one :(

11. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

well, i got some of the tranny-savvy guys to take a look up at the shop... and pretty much the consensus is i blew out the pump seal (and run the risk of having a broken vane) when I was last out wheeling; probably a result from over-revving while I was in 4-low.

Now the K5 is down for the count as I rush to finish my car so I can have a DD again :(