Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pick-and-pull question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5 krawler 50, Jan 19, 2005.

1. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

I am really wanting a dana 60 up front before i leave for college, i have seen them for sale on here and other places around the price of 900 bux, my parents are making me save some money for college, and i need to get the axle. My question is how much would i be looking to pay for going to a pick-and-pull or salvage yard dana 60 axle? Any help on where else to find one would be great too. Thanks.
    Cory

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

thats a rare find at pick a part yards

ha ha ha thats funny find one at the yard.. sorry it might just happen tho. those suckers arnt cheap for 1 reason thay are STRONG.. and y do you need a 60 frt. what is your needs and specs. if going to auto college then find 1 that needs reman and do it there and save a lot on the labor and posible parts , some places give discounts to students on parts and tools for class mabey.

good luck finding 1 tho .

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've bought 3 60s at the junkyards around here. most expensive one cost me $350. Now mine you, when I went to pick one of them up they flipped cause they realized they sold me a 60 for the price of a 44. 1 was a chevy axle, 1 was a ford high pinion out of an 80s F350, and the last(the only one I still have) was a High Pinion out of a 79 F350. Mind you I sold the Chevy one for something like 700 and all I did was clean the grease off of it and disassemble and inspec it. :whistle: It really depends on the yard. The yard I bought my 2 high pinions at thought they were making a lot of money charging me $350(300 for one of them), and I was doing a little dance inside. Mind you all the ones I've gotten needed work. The chevy one was the best but it needed calipers and was a 4.10 down axle which was not the greatest thing for me. One of the yards locally thought he was giving me a deal telling me he'd sell me a chevy dually 60 for $750. Thats my area, who knows in yours. Call around or better yet go look. In my experience junkyards have no idea what they have sometimes. Thats the way you want it though, if they know what a 60 can go for they will charge you $$ but if to them its just another axle, :D

and do you have 33s with 10 bolts? If so I'd just wait on it. You'll be fine for now, no need to run a 60, that and you will need a matching 14 bolt to go with it

4. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Dana 60 and cheap do NOT work int he same sentence..you want one be willin to pay. 700-1k$ for the initial buy and a good rebuilt, yer lookin at 1500$$ EASY.

Not counting the possible regear!

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

aren't I a lucky stinker, I doubt I will have more than $1k in my high pinion when she is done and thats with a Detroit, 5.13s and 35 spline outers.

6. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

well... in theory any front axle at PNP is $200-$250 out the door
    but i doubt they would have one in a yard... employees know enough to get them first, or the truck gets salvage titled

7. sweetk30

ya lot more in the north east i think .. lot of them finaly making it out of the woods and farms to the yards finaly . out west tho i think its a nother store my self i could be wrong tho. dullys go cheaper tho and just change the hub assbly its all the same other wise.

8. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

d60's are like gold...even the folks who dont even plan on usin one know they can turn it around for some EASY $$

9. sweetk30

i just got YARY LUCKY and scored a ex military 1 ton with the usal 4.56 locker rear for 600 .... but it had to go that night only 1 time offer.. frame was bad in it tho.

10. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

If yer in the right place at the right time you CAN score a deal, but not everyone does.

11. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I waited for three years before i picked up a 60, i just wont pay the regular 1000 bucks, in a conversation at work a guy had one he didnt know how to make work in his jeep so i bought it for 200 bucks, then to double my luck it had 4.10s not the best ratio but a match to my 14, i had to put new rotors and calipers on it changed the fluid and cleaned it up.

12. sweetk30

NOW I HAVE FOUND SOME SWEET DEALS BUT THAT TAKES THE HOLE CAKE WITH THICK ICING what a deal wow

13. k5 krawler 50

like you guys said, dana 60 front and cheap dont mix well together, like an oxy moron, but i was just wondering what they would run at these places. also why dont pick-n-pulls have dana 60s, i thought for sure they would. Thanks for the help too..

14. sweetk30

most p.n.p yards around hear are just the trash recyclers of auto crap any more. the big money is in the full service yards with late model wrecks. big big money in those!!!

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the really good stuff doesn't make it to pick-n-pulls. Those places are usually full of cars others don't want. Like you will be REALLy hard pressed to find a Camaro or Firebird of any later year in a Pick-n-Pull that has anything other than a V6. At least thats the case around me.

16. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Keep looking, I've found two in salvage yards that cost me $250 ea. One sat in the truck with no front clip out in the open for years. The other sat in an axle pile for years. One was about 10 years ago, the other about 1 year ago. The I found a rusted out F250 sittin on the side of the road for $250, was a '78 model with '60s front/rear.

Alot of it is luck, right time/right place I guess.

17. k5 krawler 50

well i i didnt know that pnp were all junk i just thought they had a little of everything... i will have to check for full service yards around my area. Thanks for the help.

18. sweetk30

in my area thay are junk recyclers and for the full service thay know 95% of the time . i asked 1 once and thay said 1100 and thay didnt even know what gears or milage. go figure. good luck

19. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Always take a look around too. I had been searching for a cheap D44 with discs to replace the D44 with drums that came under my truck, when I found a 60 instead.

one day I went to the yard to buy cab clearance light lenses to replace my cracked ones, and was just taking a peek around. Noticed some new cars and trucks in a row, so went to check them out. All crap...there was an 80's fullsize conversion van that had an unopened case of Bud longnecks in the back...circa 1996 (this was in spring '04).:rotfl:

There was a beat to **** F250 next to the van, that had a ton of interior stuff from the van in its bed. I saw a transfer case sticking out from under the pile, so I started to move it around some. Turned out to be a TF727 and a NP203. Saw some more goodies buried in the bed, so I kept digging. Ended up finding a matching set of dana 60's from a '78 Dodge W200 with the snow plow pkg, about 3-4 NP203's, and some auto trannies. I almost crapped my pants when I found it. Then I crapped my pants again when the JY guy told me $200 for it. Despite my soggy drawers, I had the nerve to offer $150, and the axle had a new home.

Turned out to be a semi-rare dodge variant with external drive flanges. I am guessing the 727 and 203 came from the same truck. It has 4.10's but they are garbage because of a water leak. Needs a total rebuild, but hey...$150 is $150.

So the moral of my long story is...look, look, look! the JY man said he had the F250 towed there as it sat, with the stuff in the bed. One of his friends wanted it out of his yard, so he threw all his trash in it. :eek:

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

NOTHING is cheap about a Dana 60. Even if you get the axle for free, you're going to want to drop a ton into it to get it under your vehicle.

I've got $1k on top of the price of the axle in mine and I intend to spend another grand before I'm happy.