Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pick me a welder

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Jul 10, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

well for my birthday i was told i can get 1 tool from hope depot, so i want a welder /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif now i dont see any 220's on their site, but from what they do have i'm stuck between the 1st one and 2nd one (sorted by price), although the 2nd might be 220 i'm not sure, anyway can someone please explain the differences to me in laymans terms, heres a link and some samples
    Welders

Lincoln Electric
    Weld Pak 3200HD Wire Feed Welder
    Model K2190-1

[​IMG]
    Got some serious welding chores? Then you're going to want a serious welder. Lincoln Electric's Weld-Pak 3200HD handles a huge spectrum of flux-cored or MIG welding jobs -- from auto-body repairs to farm fixes to around the home chores. You just can't buy a 120V welder with a more versatile range! The Weld-Pak 3200HD comes ready to weld mild steel with self-shielded flux-cored wire right out of the box. Also included is virtually everything you need to MIG weld mild steel. Just add a cylinder of shielding gas. Rounding out the package is a welding handshield, instructional video and undercarriage. The convenient mild steel procedure chart inside the wire access door guides you to all the appropriate welder settings for the job at hand. The Weld-Pak 3200HD has a 25-135 amp output and welds up to 5/16 inch steel using flux-cored wire. The unit plugs into a 120V (20 amp) outlet. It comes with a 3 year warranty on parts and labor (90 days warranty on gun and cable).

[​IMG]
    Lincoln Electric
    AC/DC 225/125 Welder
    Model K1297

The AC/DC 225/125 Welder is the deluxe version of the world renowned AC-225 arc welder. It uses the same traditional design of the AC-225, but adds the smother, more stable DC welding arc. Ideal for farm, shop, and home use where improved are welding performance is desired. The AC/DC 225/125 is an arc welding power source with an AC welding output range of 40-225 amps and a DC welding output of 30-125 amps. It is an extremely useful stick welding power source for maintance repair, fabrication, construction, erection and hard surfacing applications. Also for cutting and piercing holes in steel. The AC/DC 225/125 comes with a 3 year warranty on parts and labor and is manufactured under a quality system certified to ISO 9001 requirements.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

http://store.cyberweld.com/hobhan175.html Good welder and by the time you buy the regulator and crap for the lincoln you only a $100-150 away from this welder. This welder is excelent for a home hobiest. I don't care what it is a 110v machine is not good for heavy stuff like 3/16. THe duty cycle sucks AND you would have to have a dedicated 20amp 110v line borught in to keep from poping breakers in your house. So might as well bring in 220v and have some real HP.

That stick welder is great for the price and once you learn stick everything else is not hard and the step over to tig is not even hard BUT that welder will not weld body sheet metal. It's like carving a 2 inch high intricate figurine with a dull maul. Now a 110v welder and that 220v Stick you haveyourself covered but now you spent more then that Hobart I posted the link too.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    that welder will not weld body sheet metal. It's like carving a 2 inch high intricate figurine with a dull maul.

[/ QUOTE ]

even if you go to 125DC and crank the power down as low as it will go?

j

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks grim, but i have to get it at home depot, i cannot afford buying one my self right now. also i didnt realize the 2nd one was stick, that shows how much i know huh! and whats 20% duty cycle mean? thanks guys

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I bought my pro mig 175 from home dpeot and it is 220v.
    -Chris /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i dont see it on their site, maybe they have more in store than online?

7. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Are you limited to just home depot?? I know lowes has a variety of welders.
    -Chris

8. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

For fabricating you are not going to want either of those. That mig won't do anything thick, and without gas it is going to look like [darn]. The stick is slow and will blow through anything thin.

If I had to pick between those two, I'd get the 110 mig. It'll work for small projects and tacking things so you can then take it somewhere to get finish welded.

Good luck.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

20% duty cycle means you can weld for 2 minutes straight, then you have to wait 8 minutes to let it cool down.

If I were in your position, I'd just ask for money for your birthday, and save up for a MM 175, or MM 210. Both of those welders will do everything from body armor to cages. Don't do it like me and get stuck with a little one to begin with.

10. Tuff84blaze

Tuff84blaze 1/2 ton status

I got that weld pack 3200 a couple of weeks ago, so far I love it. I have only welded up to 3/16" steel with it so far and it did it no problem. If you are stuck to buying at Home Depot I wouldn't worry a bit about buying this one. For your first welder I am sure you will love it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm getting the Hobart 180 amp model soon. I have seriously considered the 140 though, it's about $440 on ebay. The 180 is a little over $500.

12. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm getting the Hobart 180 amp model soon. I have seriously considered the 140 though, it's about $440 on ebay. The 180 is a little over $500.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't mess with the 140... I bought a handler 135 2 years ago, just bought the 180 this year, HUGE difference in capability. $499 +tax local.

Brandon, they should have or be able to order a 220 mig at the store, go talk to their tool mgr.

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I have the same lincoln electric... 240v but havent hooked it up yet. It was free!!! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif and slightly used
    anyhow... my bro in law has one too.. same one and he loves it.... just remember that people say mig is better, needs gas but does a cleaner weld. My father whom has welded since they used to use lightnight rods in a bad storm to weld says... NOTHING WELDS BETTER AND HOTTER THAN A STICK WELDER

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Get the Lincoln 220V SP175. I ordered mine last week, probably going to pick it up in the next couple days. I CANNOT wait. I have 2 of the lincoln 110V units, the SP100 and the SP135 and they pretty well suck for me. Just ot enough heat, good for body work and little fab stuff, I definetally agree jump to the next up welder, but it is a good price jump(about 50%).

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    NOTHING WELDS BETTER AND HOTTER THAN A STICK WELDER

[/ QUOTE ]

*cough*

Bullshi*

*cough*

I can't wait to have a good, 220v MIG.

Only people that think what you think have never used a 220 MIG.

16. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I get to use 550volt mig welders at work
    They cost the company aprox. $10 000 CDN.
    There are more adjustments and features on them than you can imagine , but what a job you can do with good equipment /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

big jimmy 91, where do you work, and what do you do?

18. big jimmy 91

I am a Sheet Metal worker by trade
    I fabricate anything (allmost) , from duct work that goes in your house to industrial equipment in grain elevators , paper mills , saw mills , pulp truck trailers etc.
    Mild steel , stainless steel , aluminum ,and some specialty alloys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

woah that must be an interesting job /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

20. big jimmy 91

Fun at times , sucks some times /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    I thought I was a pretty good welder until my last job for a big company , I learned more about mig welding in 6 months there than I did working for years at places that just pushed things out the door
    It is amazing how much difference a good quality welding mach. makes on the finnished product
    Anyone can weld , but it takes skill to be good at it /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    (Not to offend anyone that reads this /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)