Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pick My Tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by djsblaze, Oct 27, 2004.

1. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

I know, another tire post. I just bought a 2003 3/4 ton Suburban. It came with 245/75 R16 tires. I need new tread that is bigger, and more aggressive. The PO put on somekind of street only tire. Im looking for a good all terrain tire. Anybody know if a 285/75 would fit? No lift here, and its a daily driver on highways. On my previous chevys I have run the Goodyear AT/S, and I like those pretty well. Ive heard good things about the BFG ATs, but they have been at the top of the pile so long, I just have to figure there is something better out there by now. I dont plan on any offroading in this thing, just dirtroads and the occasional snow on a ski trip. Dont need a bogger here. Any thoughts are much appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yes the 285/75 will fit no prob.
    i have them on my 88 3/4 ton no lift right now no rub at all.

i want these:
    [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

but the AT's look cool too:
    [​IMG]

4. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

DarkShadow, what are those things, they look pretty cool, but too aggressive for what I need. The blazer though...

5. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

I got a friend that runs 305/70/16 on his 2003 3/4 ton chevy truck with no problems at all. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

OK, made a few calls, and everyone except the tire shops say a 285/75 will fit. Also heard another guy say he runs 305 as well. Size has now been picked, what brand, what model? Anyone like Michelin?

7. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

http://www.wheelsforless.com/images/grappler.jpg

This is what I put on my HD last month. They are not loud and seem to do well in the snow (see my photo album to find out why) , I will find out how they do in the sand tomorrow /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Pismo!! Price was right as well.

8. bandit1

bandit1 Registered Member

Hey i just got some kelly safari msr's. they are great. i love em. real good as a snow tire and all terrain. they are a lil bit more aggressive than a normal a/t though /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. blazen86

blazen86 Registered Member

MICKEY THOMPSON

I want the radial SSRs

10. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Have you looked at the BFGoodrich Commercail TA's? We got a set at Costco, all terrain tread, 50,000 mile warranty, and they would be good for a 3/4 ton rig. Not a real aggresive tread or anything so good for highway, but not straight street tires either.

11. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

I pussed and went with a set of Michelin LTX M+S in a 275/75/16. 285s rubbed at full turn. Saving about 300 rpms at 70mph so the tires should pay themselves off sometime in the next 14 years, give or take. Thanks for the input. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

12. bandit1

bandit1 Registered Member

michelin ltx's? C'mon those came stock on a '98 3/4 2wd gmc. i know because my grandpa has one. i thought you were lookin for some that looked a lil cool /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif j/k theyre a really good tow/highway tire /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif