Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pick up tail gate handle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wayne, Jun 24, 2006.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I need to replace the tailgate handle on a 75 pick up gate. Is there any easy way to do them? I messed with it a little today and can't get the rods off the handle so I can slide the handle out.

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Anybody???????????????

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

They have linkage clips on the rods where they attach to the handle up inside the tailgate..the rod pokes thru them,and they clip onto the rods..door handle linkages in the front door use similar clips,and so do some carb linkages too...

Its kinda hard to describe how to do it,on the web!...but here goes..

If I had to pull a tailgate handle out,I usually take off the 3 phillips head screws out that are directly behind the handle on the back side of the gate,and then remove the bolts to the brackets at the outer edges where the latch pokes into the bed,and remove the rod from the latch...then you can slide the rods and handle out far enough to get them off easier...doing it while everything is still bolted in is a beotch!..(but can be done, with patience and curved needle nose pliers--and lots of cussing!)..:crazy:

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Ok, I'll give it a try by taking the rods off the ends first. Thanks.