Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Picked up a 140amp Alt. today

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Parf, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Parf

Parf Registered Member

I stopped by 4WPW today, and picked up a Powermaster 140 amp alternator. I brought it home, and it looks like a good fit, but I won't get it in until tomorrow. Its a 1-wire design, so hook up should be easy. It has a little tag on it that says that its output has been tested at idle as 94 amps, and at highway speed as 141 amps. It cost $140. Part number 47294.

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Let us know how it fits.

3. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Sounds like a good deal, especially for $140, that's not much more than I was paying for a stock 100amp alternator for the 88-98 trucks./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

What's the largest amp alternator that these things came with from the factory?

4. Parf

Parf Registered Member

Well, it fit just fine. I had to unbolt the case and change the "clocking" of the mounting ears so the lower bracket would fit, but it was easy. It's a 1-wire alternator, so I just hooked up the main power lead, and taped the other 2 wires up to keep them out of the way. After I start the truck, I give the gas a little blip, the alternator excites itself, and my voltmeter says all is right with the world. I can't wait to jumpstart someone elses Diesel. I need a winch too. And a light bar. And a huge sterio. And GPS. And a TV/VCR combo. Maybe. But the thing is, is that I could................./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

What function do the other wires you "taped off" perform? I have the exact same vehicle you have and am shopping for high output alt.

6. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

I'm also interested to hear what these other wires do... I haven't dug into the electrical system on my truck yet.

7. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

One wire (the red one?) is used to energize the alternator so it will charge. I think the other one is for an ammeter or some kind of gauge or idiot light. With the one-wire alternator it energizes itself, so the red wire isn't needed. Parf's voltmeter still works and all the rest of his electrical system is working fine, so I'm not sure what the white wire is for.

When I wire in a GM internally regulated alternator in a car I'm building, I have never bothered hooking up the white wire and I have never had any problems. I run the red one to switched power and the charging output straight to the battery.