Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Picked up a 205 BUT...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtnman210, Oct 2, 2005.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I got a 205 from a friend ysterday but it's been sitting for a while--outside. He said it's been covered most of the time but every once in a while the wind would blow the cover off. Anyways he let me take it and said to see if it was worth using. The problem is I don't know what to look for or where to look. I spun the shafts on it and it spins pretty smooth and there's no grinding. Do I just pull the big cover on the back and see if there's any water/rust inside?

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Yeah thats what I would do. If the gears and shafts are all pitted and whatnot its probably toast but if its just surface rust then I would fill it full of deisel, let it sit for a days then empty it out and either rebuild it or use it.

I don't know what that would do to the seals tho but if its been sitting outside, they are probably dry rotted anyways.

3. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

my main concern are the internals. So I should be able to tell what the gears and all that are like by just pulling the cover and not pulling the whole thing apart. I figured I'd be replacing the seals anyway thats not a big deal.
    thanks

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Did you take the drain plug out yet? That will tell you a lot. If you pull the plug and oil or ATV comes out then you are fine. If you pull the plug and oil comes out, then water and rust you have problems.

5. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I'll remeber to do that first.

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Since it turns, and presumably shifts... drain it, refill, and run it!

If you go down the path of taking it apart, and decide something is too rusty or pitted - you're probably not going to put it back together. (Probably get another used one instead). Now you'll never find out how many months or years of service you'd have gotten from it.

7. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

very true....I like that attitude

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if the little bit of water that might have gotten in to it killed it then i guess my units are dead. those things are tanks. if spins good and smoth run it. good luck.

9. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

just pulled the cover and the gears are beautiful!! there's a tiny bit of just surface rust on one inner wall but thats it.:D

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

run it buddy. i hade a shifter problem onetime. would pop out of low 4x4 and grind like he!!. still going to this day.:D

11. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

yup it's getting cleaned up and put in the pile of stuff waiting to go in.

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

just run it...

I've used lots of junkyard T-cases that sat outside for months,maybe years before I got em..I just look closely at what comes out of the drain plug..if its milky or rusty,its a good bet it wont last long..but I've drained a few out and flushed them with diesel or kerosene and refilled them,and had no trouble..SOME water will always be present due to condensation..its a good idea to flush and refill it shortly after its in service for awhile,and all the rusty crud is loosened up..a magnetic drain plug is a good investmemt too..keeps all the metallic crap out of the gears and bearings.. :crazy:

13. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I like the magnetic plug idea thanks for the tip