Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Picked up a Caddy 472 yesterday for 100 bucks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lotsa_Faith, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

100 bucks got me a truckload of stuff: 472 w/100k miles on it, th400, and some 350 stuff like distributor, waterpump and valve covers. spent all day today tearing it down to the block getting ready to paint it. should i go chevy orange or bright red on the block? do i primer it first?

2. Me89'Jimmy

Me89'Jimmy 1/2 ton status

dude rock the red, definitely, orange is too common /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

Yea, prime it and paint it the color of your truck. Sweet deal man, you got a great deal! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

You suck...I mean sweet deal! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Why are all those deals always where I'm not or when my wallet is empty? I second the same color as the truck idea.

Kris

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Let us know what your putting it in,and how you do it--I may have to do a caddy to chevy transplant myself(I have a 500 motor),and may put it in one of my trucks--looking for any info from ones who have been there! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gifI wish the 500 would fit in my van--it needs the cubes more with the 2.73 gears-- /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifdidnt look like it would fit in the van when I had the motor out(too wide!--Bummer!) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifIs the caddy motor wider than a 454???Or does it just LOOK wider?? I dont have one handy to measure--anyone know??. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Good price for a score like that--got mine from a friend with no room in his fathers garage for sons caddy motor and tranny ,(freeebeee) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifhas been sitting a few years at least,but did run good when we pulled it out /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif,car had frame rot. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

Well I dont particularly think a camo engine would look too sharp, so I'm gonna go with the red, and "aluminum" painted heads and intake.

7. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Let us know what your putting it in,and how you do it--I may have to do a caddy to chevy transplant myself(I have a 500 motor),and may put it in one of my trucks--looking for any info from ones who have been there! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gifI wish the 500 would fit in my van--it needs the cubes more with the 2.73 gears-- /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifdidnt look like it would fit in the van when I had the motor out(too wide!--Bummer!) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifIs the caddy motor wider than a 454???Or does it just LOOK wider?? I dont have one handy to measure--anyone know??. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Good price for a score like that--got mine from a friend with no room in his fathers garage for sons caddy motor and tranny ,(freeebeee) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifhas been sitting a few years at least,but did run good when we pulled it out /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif,car had frame rot. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a Cad 472/500 is only about 1.5 inches wider than a Small Block Chevy... I had a link to a site that had all the external dimensions, but I can't find it... A good place to post the question would be www.500cid.com ... I've been wanting to do a Big Caddy for a long time. There's a local yard here that has a '69 472 with 55K on it that I tried to buy for 2 weeks. Went in with cash in hand every day for the first week, every other day the second week. They were too busy to pull it for me and I was paying their asking price, cash, even offered to pull it myself to save them the time. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I finally got pissed and told them to keep it, but if I have the cash again before we move I may try to buy it. Harder and harder and harder to find...

Congrata!!!

8. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

That's a sweet deal. I bought a running in the car junkyard 500 for $450, put it in my '84 K5, ran the heck out of it on and off road, and finally grenaded it on a trip from TN to WV. It's now sitting in storage waiting to be rebuilt and put in something else. Luckily I kept my 6.2L and it went back in the K5. Engine swaps are FUN! When I build it again I'll be using parts from MTS, www.500cid.com, and really making some serious power. They have everything from stock parts to wild cams and fuel injection kits. They also have a 540ci stroker kit /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Let me know if you need tech help getting it in your truck. By the way, the pre-70 472 had smaller oil passages and could benefit from a oil drainback hole in the rear of the lifter gallery. I believe they go over all the merits of the different years of 472/500 on the MTS site. I bought a great book from them on building a 500 which details everything: HP/torque specs, internal dimensions, cam specs, head designs, etc... Very handy for my swap and future build-up. Good luck and enjoy the raw balls power /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
    Chris /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

Not a bad deal /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I say go with the red and aluminum look. I just painted mine black w/ red accents to match the truck. Orange would confuse people /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I got my donor caddy, a 71 Coupe Deville w/ a fresh 472 complete for $100. Then we got the joy of stripping it down and finishing up the caddy to chevy conversion. I have been driving my 83 Blazer w/ the 472 in it for almost 6 months and love it. The caddy motor looks wider then a 454 but technically fits better then our 454 did in our 75. Another good site is Cad Company , they also have lots of performance parts and conversion stuff for caddy to whatever. They also have a great catalog with casting #'s, specs, and how to's that is really worth buying.