Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Picked up a carb tonight for 70 bucks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tshane, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

Tonight i got a 750 edlebrock off a guy. I was told that it was a 600 and i looked at it and didnt really look hard enough and gave him the money. It is only a couple year old and been sitting more then it has been ran so 70 bucks was a good deal. The thing i need help with now is what needs done to tune it for a 383 leave it stock and start there or any jets u would recommend from the get go? Beast388 I really appreciate any input from u sence i know you are running a 750 on your motor.

Thanks
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

I bought an edeljunk carb once, I ran it for about 20 minutes, then I threw it in the trash.

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I bought an edeljunk carb once, I ran it for about 20 minutes, then I threw it in the trash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice answer, we should put this on the why to become a member here page /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I think Steve has this idea that he would like people to pay and become members, and crap like this isn't gonna make people want to do it. What happened to the old CK5 anyways?

Only thing I know about the Edelbrocks is that they are much better on the street than off-road, and the Carter I had(same as edelbrock) worked awesome on the street, and good off-road in general, and bad off-road on steep grades. I would say to try it like it is and go from there.

4. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

man this place is getting more and more like pirate. All we need now is the jeep @ssholes and it will be exactly the same.

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

If it is really a 750 and it looks clean I would bolt it on and go. I liked the 600 version I had although it didn't see any offroading.

It makes me wonder though why someone would run that carb for a 'little bit' then pull it and give it away. Beast388 is running a 750 Holley 3310 on his motor. The two carbs are really different animals.

Good luck.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I would just put it on and see how it runs. Your jetting needs depend on your motor, altitude,timing and many other variables. If anything, you will prolly just have to change meetering rods. These are simple to change and can be done in a few minutes with the carb on the vehicle. most speed shops carry meetering rods for edel/carter AFB carbs

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Yep, I am running a 750 cfm Holley (for now). It is the perfect size for my 388. It could probably use one size smaller primary jets, but runs great.

What cam and heads will you be using on your 383? What is the max RPM will you turn? That will determine what carb will work best.

I would say slap that Edelbrock on, and see how it runs. When I first got my engine running, I was using a 650 Holley. I felt that there was more power there and tried a buddy's 750. After that, I tracked down a 750 of my own and have been running it ever since. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Holley's and Edelbrock's aren't known for their off-road performance, so you will just have to see how it works for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Let me rephase my previous post, I bought a brand new 750 edelbrock carb becuase it was 40-50$ cheaper then a holley and my previous holley cracked the baseplate.
    I put it on the car and it ran ok above idle but it wouldnt idle worth anything. I had never used a edelbrock carb before and the thought of tearing into it to change jets or metering rods or whatever frightened me. So I called a friend that swears by edelbrock carbs (runs dual quads on his 68 nova and gets 21-23 mpg) So he came over and pulled the top off and changed the springs on the metering rods. Now the car would idle it had a little bit of hesitation when you went wot. I actually drove the carf for about a week with that carb every time the temp changed more then 10 degress I had to mess with mixture screws to get it to idle smooth. I was getting like 8 mpg ( i know thats not much of a change from 10 but still). Then one day we were screwing around behind work, and the car would only leave about 20-25 feet of patch. This is a 3400lb car with a 10.5:1 compression 570 lift cam'd motor, a 3500 stall and 4:10 gears on street tires. I got mad went inside and bought a brand new holley street advenger off the shelf went out side and put it on. It felt like I added 100 hp the car easily baked the tires end to end of the lot(300 feet or so). So i then threw the edelbrock in the trash. That was my one and only experince with edelbrock carbs, they make many good quality items, intakes, heads, cams. Maybe I got a bad one out of the box, maybe I didnt intsall it right, I dont know. I do know the car didnt like it. Im sorry if my previous post pissed some people off i should have taken the time to share my experince instead of just dumping on a product with no explanation.