Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PIcked up a radio...

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Big'nBadK5, Jul 27, 2003.

1. Big'nBadK5

Big'nBadK5 Registered Member

At a local swap meet and car show today, its a Cobra 148 GTL that was made in '91 and the guy said that he was running the rig in his tractor trailer and had it tweaked and peaked by a local shop. i dont really know much about the unit or how to operate it so any advice would be great. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The 148 has SSB besides the regular 40am. I recomend starting off with just strait AM till you get too learn the radio. Liston in a both upper and lower SSB, use the clariffier to tune them in. Just play with it for awhile, it's a pretty basic 40 channel, SSB type radio.

3. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

The Cobra 148 is pretty simple to operate and are one of the best regular cb's out there.

Most of the controls are self explanatory but here's some that might not make sense.

Voicelock=clarifier and is used only when in USB or LSB modes to fine tune other stations.
    Dynamic=Microphone gain.

The switch with AM,LSB,USB changes modes between normal AM(which is what most other cb's are) and the SSB modes. The other modes only work with another radio that has the same cababilities. Normally the only SSB (single side band) traffic you'll hear is on ch 38 LSB.

Just tinker around with it and you'll figure it all out pretty easily.

4. Big'nBadK5

Big'nBadK5 Registered Member

Thanks for that, but there is still a hell of alot more i am not too sure about. i am a real novice when it comes to cb's. so now 'm gonna ask what all the rest of these nobs do. squelch, rf gain, swr cal, 3 posisition s/rf, cal, swr? pretty stupid questions i know but i would like to learn more about it. thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    so now 'm gonna ask what all the rest of these nobs do. squelch, rf gain, swr cal, 3 posisition s/rf, cal, swr?

[/ QUOTE ] RF gain, just turn it up all the way and forget about it. SWR Cal is used when checking the SWR. Put in cal, key mic, and turn knob till meter gets to the SWR Cal poinnter. Unkey mic, then move switch to SWR, key mic and see where SWR reads as. Squelch is used too elimate excess noise. Hope that helps explain the funtions you had questions about.