Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

picked up my K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gjk5, May 25, 2004.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Just picked up the '72 last night and brought it home, here are the details and I had a few questions:

1972 Blazer CST, 350CI, I think a TH400 (L1,L2,D), 2.5" lift, 32" tires, Rancho 7000(?)shocks, NP 205, soft and hard top, crappy racing buckets, tub and undercarriage rhinolined, roll cage, oh, and edelbrock carb. In addition I got another '72 almost complete with rebuilt eng. and tranny included in the deal, the body is just crap.

Questions:

Needs an oil change, what kind of oil?

Rebuild edelbrock or put the other Rochester Q-jet on it?

Are these Ranchos decent shocks?

Undercarriage and engine compartment need cleaning badly, is household degreaser OK to spray on these areas?

Is there a spec sheet on this truck? My '82 had a sheet under the hood telling you gear ratios, engine displacement etc.

Can I get replacement cover for these buckets, they are plastic or fiberglass high back bucket type with the five point harness holes?

How many helpers do I need to remove the top?

Are cracks in the top repairable? Can I rattle can paint the top?

Where is the best place to post pictures to link to this site?

Answers to any and/or all of these would be appreciated.

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Needs an oil change, what kind of oil?

Rebuild edelbrock or put the other Rochester Q-jet on it?

Are these Ranchos decent shocks?

Undercarriage and engine compartment need cleaning badly, is household degreaser OK to spray on these areas?

Is there a spec sheet on this truck? My '82 had a sheet under the hood telling you gear ratios, engine displacement etc.

Can I get replacement cover for these buckets, they are plastic or fiberglass high back bucket type with the five point harness holes?

How many helpers do I need to remove the top?

Are cracks in the top repairable? Can I rattle can paint the top?

Where is the best place to post pictures to link to this site?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Whatever brand you prefer prolly 10W-30

2. Q-Jet if it is in good shape better off road.

3. Rancho's are good shocks.

4. Yeah I use greased lightning everywhere on my truck. Be careful around rubber seals and such as it may damage those if it sits for too long.

5. Spec sheet here

6. You can prolly get new covers, but would have to find out the brand name for the seats

7. 2-3 Helpers they weigh about 225 lbs IIRC

8. Not sure if you can patch the top I would think you could with fiberglass. Yes you can rattlecan it

9. Upload your pics to the members gallery here then right click on the photo and go to properties. Highlight and copy the url then in your posy click the IMG tab and paste the url in there /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Congrats on your new K5 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I have the spec sheet off this site, I'm just thinking there is one somewhere on the truck that will tell me what the specific specs to this truck are. Is there on in the glove box? (can't open it 'cause of cage)

I will have to find somewhere else to post pictures, they are over 200K in size.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I like "Easyoff oven cleaner" for a degreaser, but it will eat the paint too.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes,the factory options list is on the inside of the glove compartment--unless someone already removed it,or changed the glove compartment door.They used to call a TH400 tranny a M-40 back then,I think the TH350 was listed as M-38--I'd bet you have the TH350(TH400 very rare in K-5s that old).Look for the modulator on the tranny(small vaccuum can with a hose on it)if its on the front passenger side near the bellhousing its a TH400--if its near the tailshaft facing the transfer case its a TH350.And those years usually had the very desireable cast iron 205 new process gear drive transfer case,and a 12 bolt rear axle.They sure dont build em like that anymore! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

It does have the 12 bolt, I would love to look in the glove compartment, but the PO built the cage too tight and it won't open until I grind off 1/4". I'm gonna get under it and degrease it tonight, so I'll see about the 205.

As far as the tranny goes, I know it should have a th350, but it has the L1,L2,D, which my LMC catalog says is the 400. Any thoughts?

7. jester

jester Registered Member

I have a TH350 on my Jimmy and it has the L1,L2,D.

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I'll get under there tonight and take a closer look. I guess it doesn't really matter, either is fine with me, just curious.

can anyone direct me to the 4WD shift pattern, the knob is worn and the floor is bare and rhinolined.

9. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    can anyone direct me to the 4WD shift pattern, the knob is worn and the floor is bare and rhinolined.

[/ QUOTE ]

on my 70 with a NP205 its...

4LO
    N
    2HI
    4HI

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif